Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine gap year advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have applied for medicine this year to Oxford, UCL, BRistol and Cardiff. I got rejected from Oxford due to an appalling BMAT (4.7, 4.3), haven't heard anything from UCL or Bristol, and interviewed at Cardiff in December. I'm pretty sure I haven't got into Cardiff and am not expecting anything from UCL/Bristol.

So I was wondering when is the ideal time to start looking for medicine related gap year jobs, do you have to have specific training for a long period of time for HCA jobs? Also do you have any tips for a successful reapplication to medicine next year.

Btw here are my stats:

GCSE: 10A*s
    AS: AAAA
    A2 predictions: 3A*s
    UKCAT: 630 (I know, soooo bad)
    BMAT: above
    Lots of work ex + volunteer 4 hours a week in a hospice as a ward support carer, fairly good extra curriculars

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you have a really good shot if you don't get in this year. Just do your research before applying. I.e. if you get a high UKCAT, apply for those who want high UKCAT. Maybe only apply to 1 BMAT uni etc.

It's just tough with only 4 choices. Ive known people with even better grades than you (i.e. more A*s) and higher UKCATs who got rejected first time round. There's still hope, firstly. But if you do get rejected, don't worry - I'm sure you have a great chance second time round - just choose wisely!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.