Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Before anyone accuses me of being 'lazy' and therefore posting my 'homework' questions online, I am sitting the BBO tomorrow. I found a 2009 past paper but the mark scheme is nowhere to be found online (as the Royal Society of Biology has removed all past papers excluding 1) so I need to check some answers, and also need help with some questions. Researching the questions gives no direct answers and so requires hours of reading - I do not have the time right now.

1) In which structure would the golgi apparatus be the most highly developed? Options: Salivary gland cells, red blood cells, kidney tubule cells, skeletal cells or motor nerve cells.

2) Which of the following organelles has protein phospholipid membranes, energy-conversion enzymes and ribosomes similar to those found in bacteria?
    Options: Lysosome, Peroxisome, RER, mitochondrion, and centriole. I said RER but not sure if I am correct.

3) The digested products of dietary fat are absorbed chiefly in:
    Options: Duodenum, stomach, ileum, caecum, colon. I say duodenum but not sure.

4) Which combination of the following substances correctly lists the substances that are reabsorbed in the proximal tubule of the mammalian kidney?
    1. Na+
    2. Cl-
    3. Water
    4. Glucose
    5. Amino acids
    6. Urea
    A. 1, 2, 3 OR B. 6, OR C. 1, 2, 4, 5, OR D. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 OR E. 4, 5

5) Which property of water is most important to plants living below the surface of water in ponds?
    A. Cohesion
    B. Oxygen solubility
    C. High surface tension
    D. Transparency
    E. High latent heat of fusion

6) All of the following are examples of root modification except which one?
    A Sugarbeet
    B Potato
    C Carrot
    D Sweet potato
    E Yam

7) A water-soluble dye injected into a plant cell may pass to an adjacent cell through
    A. tight junctions.
    B. microtubules.
    C. desmosomes.
    D. plasmodesmata.
    E. gap junctions.
    Here I think it's via tight junctions but why would it not be plasmodesmata? Thanks.

8) Lowering the level of a hedge with a hedge trimmer stimulates the hedge to become bushy because:
    A. It stimulates the production of ethylene gas.
    B. Removing the apical meristems makes more auxin, which stimulates lateral branch buds to grow.
    C. Removing the apical meristems makes less ethylene, which stimulates lateral branches to grow
    D. Removing the apical meristems results in less auxin, which then allows lateral branches to grow.
    E. Removing the lateral buds results in apical dominance under the influence of cytokinins

9) Habituation is a beneficial form of behaviour because it enables an animal to A. avoid a potentially dangerous situation
    B. defend itself against an enemy
    C. effect its escape response quickly
    D. conserve energy for essential activities (I think this but not sure)
    E. recognise other individuals of the same species

10) Female spotted sandpipers aggressively court males and, after mating, leave the clutch of eggs for the male to incubate. This sequence may be repeated several times with different males until no available males remain, forcing the female to incubate her last clutch. Which of the following terms could be used to describe this behaviour?
    1. Polygamy
    2. Promiscuity
    3. Polyandry
    4. Polygyny
    5. Parental investment
    A. all of them; B. 1, 2 & 3; C. 1, 3 & 5; D. 1, 2 & 5; E. 2, 3 & 5.

11) Social behaviour in a hive of honey bees is tightly controlled. Which of the statements explains this phenomenon?
    A. The hive is regulated by classical conditioning,
    B. The hive is regulated by pheromones secreted by the queen,
    C. The hive is regulated by an established hierarchy of bees,
    D. The hive is regulated by communication through dance,
    E. The hive is regulated by external environmental conditions.

12) In humans, brown eyes are dominant to blue, and the gene for eye colour is carried on an autosome. A brown-eyed woman marries a blue-eyed man and their first child has blue eyes. Which of the following statements is true? A. The woman must be homozygous for eye colour (I think?)
    B. The man must be heterozygous for eye colour
    C. It is certain that the next child will also have blue eyes
    D. There is a 50% chance the next child will have blue eyes
    E. There is no chance the next child will have blue eyes

13) All of the following statements are correct except which one?
    A. Inbreeding increases the chance of individuals that are double recessive for an unfavourable allele.
    B. Inbreeding results in loss of genetic diversity amongst individuals of a domestic variety.
    C. Inbreeding depression often results from hybridization between unrelated species.
    D. Inbreeding promotes the retention of favourable characteristics.
    E. Inbreeding decreases the size of the gene pool for any population.

14) In rabbits, the dominant allele (B) is related to black body colour and the recessive allele (b) is related to white body colour. A cross between two rabbits produced 9 black and three white offspring. Which of the following statements about this cross are most likely to be correct?
    1. This is a monohybrid cross showing sex linkage.
    2. This is a monohybrid autosomal cross between two heterozygotes.
    3. The male used in the cross was homozygous recessive.
    4. The genotypes of the offspring could include Bb, BB, and bb individuals.
    5. The female used in this cross was homozygous dominant.
    A. 1 & 3; B. 2 & 5; C. 3 & 4; D. 1 & 4; E. 2 & 4.

Thanks in advance everybody, I appreciate it!!!

ReputationRep:
    My guesses:
    salivary gland cells (produces amylase, an enzyme - protein therefore large Golgi), mitochondrion, don't know, E, D, don't know, plasmodesmata (tight junctions prevent movement of stuff), D, D, B, don't know, D, C and A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Hi everyone,
    Before anyone accuses me of being 'lazy' and therefore posting my 'homework' questions online, I am sitting the BBO tomorrow. I found a 2009 past paper but the mark scheme is nowhere to be found online (as the Royal Society of Biology has removed all past papers excluding 1) so I need to check some answers, and also need help with some questions. Researching the questions gives no direct answers and so requires hours of reading - I do not have the time right now.

1) In which structure would the golgi apparatus be the most highly developed? Options: Salivary gland cells, red blood cells, kidney tubule cells, skeletal cells or motor nerve cells.

2) Which of the following organelles has protein phospholipid membranes, energy-conversion enzymes and ribosomes similar to those found in bacteria?
    Options: Lysosome, Peroxisome, RER, mitochondrion, and centriole. I said RER but not sure if I am correct.

3) The digested products of dietary fat are absorbed chiefly in:
    Options: Duodenum, stomach, ileum, caecum, colon. I say duodenum but not sure.

4) Which combination of the following substances correctly lists the substances that are reabsorbed in the proximal tubule of the mammalian kidney?
    1. Na+
    2. Cl-
    3. Water
    4. Glucose
    5. Amino acids
    6. Urea
    A. 1, 2, 3 OR B. 6, OR C. 1, 2, 4, 5, OR D. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 OR E. 4, 5

5) Which property of water is most important to plants living below the surface of water in ponds?
    A. Cohesion
    B. Oxygen solubility
    C. High surface tension
    D. Transparency
    E. High latent heat of fusion

6) All of the following are examples of root modification except which one?
    A Sugarbeet
    B Potato
    C Carrot
    D Sweet potato
    E Yam

7) A water-soluble dye injected into a plant cell may pass to an adjacent cell through
    A. tight junctions.
    B. microtubules.
    C. desmosomes.
    D. plasmodesmata.
    E. gap junctions.
    Here I think it's via tight junctions but why would it not be plasmodesmata? Thanks.

8) Lowering the level of a hedge with a hedge trimmer stimulates the hedge to become bushy because:
    A. It stimulates the production of ethylene gas.
    B. Removing the apical meristems makes more auxin, which stimulates lateral branch buds to grow.
    C. Removing the apical meristems makes less ethylene, which stimulates lateral branches to grow
    D. Removing the apical meristems results in less auxin, which then allows lateral branches to grow.
    E. Removing the lateral buds results in apical dominance under the influence of cytokinins

9) Habituation is a beneficial form of behaviour because it enables an animal to A. avoid a potentially dangerous situation
    B. defend itself against an enemy
    C. effect its escape response quickly
    D. conserve energy for essential activities (I think this but not sure)
    E. recognise other individuals of the same species

10) Female spotted sandpipers aggressively court males and, after mating, leave the clutch of eggs for the male to incubate. This sequence may be repeated several times with different males until no available males remain, forcing the female to incubate her last clutch. Which of the following terms could be used to describe this behaviour?
    1. Polygamy
    2. Promiscuity
    3. Polyandry
    4. Polygyny
    5. Parental investment
    A. all of them; B. 1, 2 & 3; C. 1, 3 & 5; D. 1, 2 & 5; E. 2, 3 & 5.

11) Social behaviour in a hive of honey bees is tightly controlled. Which of the statements explains this phenomenon?
    A. The hive is regulated by classical conditioning,
    B. The hive is regulated by pheromones secreted by the queen,
    C. The hive is regulated by an established hierarchy of bees,
    D. The hive is regulated by communication through dance,
    E. The hive is regulated by external environmental conditions.

12) In humans, brown eyes are dominant to blue, and the gene for eye colour is carried on an autosome. A brown-eyed woman marries a blue-eyed man and their first child has blue eyes. Which of the following statements is true? A. The woman must be homozygous for eye colour (I think?)
    B. The man must be heterozygous for eye colour
    C. It is certain that the next child will also have blue eyes
    D. There is a 50% chance the next child will have blue eyes
    E. There is no chance the next child will have blue eyes

13) All of the following statements are correct except which one?
    A. Inbreeding increases the chance of individuals that are double recessive for an unfavourable allele.
    B. Inbreeding results in loss of genetic diversity amongst individuals of a domestic variety.
    C. Inbreeding depression often results from hybridization between unrelated species.
    D. Inbreeding promotes the retention of favourable characteristics.
    E. Inbreeding decreases the size of the gene pool for any population.

14) In rabbits, the dominant allele (B) is related to black body colour and the recessive allele (b) is related to white body colour. A cross between two rabbits produced 9 black and three white offspring. Which of the following statements about this cross are most likely to be correct?
    1. This is a monohybrid cross showing sex linkage.
    2. This is a monohybrid autosomal cross between two heterozygotes.
    3. The male used in the cross was homozygous recessive.
    4. The genotypes of the offspring could include Bb, BB, and bb individuals.
    5. The female used in this cross was homozygous dominant.
    A. 1 & 3; B. 2 & 5; C. 3 & 4; D. 1 & 4; E. 2 & 4.

Thanks in advance everybody, I appreciate it!!!
    1. Salivary glands (producing mucins which are glycoproteins that make up mucus)
    2. Mitochondria
    3. Ileum (my initial thought was jejunum, but since that wasn't there I'd go for ileum, the duodenum is primarily involved in secretion of digestive enzymes, though some absorption does happen here)
    4. D. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Sodium and glucose are reabsorbed by the sodium-glucose transporter (SGLT2) via secondary active transport, using the concentration gradient of sodium. Water follows sodium by osmosis, hence water is also absorbed.
    5. I'd go with transparency, it allows the light to reach the plants allowing them to photosynthesise.
    12. The woman must be heterozygous. If she was homozygous then the child would definitely have brown eyes, as brown eyes is dominant over blue.

I left the ones I weren't sure about, I only know about human biology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jpw1097)
    1. Salivary glands (producing mucins which are glycoproteins that make up mucus)
    2. Mitochondria
    3. Ileum (my initial thought was jejunum, but since that wasn't there I'd go for ileum, the duodenum is primarily involved in secretion of digestive enzymes, though some absorption does happen here)
    4. D. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Sodium and glucose are reabsorbed by the sodium-glucose transporter (SGLT2) via secondary active transport, using the concentration gradient of sodium. Water follows sodium by osmosis, hence water is also absorbed.
    5. I'd go with transparency, it allows the light to reach the plants allowing them to photosynthesise.
    12. The woman must be heterozygous. If she was homozygous then the child would definitely have brown eyes, as brown eyes is dominant over blue.

I left the ones I weren't sure about, I only know about human biology!
    Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    My guesses:
    salivary gland cells, mitochondrion, don't know, E, D, don't know, plasmodesmata (tight junctions prevent movement of stuff), D, D, B, don't know, B, C and A
    Thank you, friend!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.