Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Durham for law and Warwick for law with french. I cannot decide at all which one to choose. I cannot decide at all. I have visited both of them on open days but still each time I think I am decided I change my mind. I like the idea of Warwick accommodation in that it is mostly ensuite and you are guaranteed your own room, whereas with Durham's collegiate structure it is safe to assume that having my own room is not guaranteed, and the prospects of an ensuite are very low. However, it is fully catered, which I think sort of makes up for that. I suppose I am looking for somewhere where I will be happy, as well as somewhere which has good employment prospects; I am not fussed on a legal career and would like to have as many options as possible. Help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyheenan)
    I have offers from Durham for law and Warwick for law with french. I cannot decide at all which one to choose. I cannot decide at all. I have visited both of them on open days but still each time I think I am decided I change my mind. I like the idea of Warwick accommodation in that it is mostly ensuite and you are guaranteed your own room, whereas with Durham's collegiate structure it is safe to assume that having my own room is not guaranteed, and the prospects of an ensuite are very low. However, it is fully catered, which I think sort of makes up for that. I suppose I am looking for somewhere where I will be happy, as well as somewhere which has good employment prospects; I am not fussed on a legal career and would like to have as many options as possible. Help would be much appreciated!
    I study law at Durham, and I had visited Warwick before applications. Warwick seemed very dull and bland to me, had no appeal as a place in itself. Whilst Durham is a beautiful little town, and it feels more like a student town, than an enclosed campus such as Warwick. The collegiate system at Durham was really helpful to me; there are so many activities to get involved in, and you truly feel like you are part of a family!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rennys)
    I study law at Durham, and I had visited Warwick before applications. Warwick seemed very dull and bland to me, had no appeal as a place in itself. Whilst Durham is a beautiful little town, and it feels more like a student town, than an enclosed campus such as Warwick. The collegiate system at Durham was really helpful to me; there are so many activities to get involved in, and you truly feel like you are part of a family!

What do you think of the course, is it interesting/dull and would you recommend? Not sure if I'll be missing out in the respect that I have an offer from Warwick for law with French whereas Durham is just pure law. How long are the terms in Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyheenan)
    What do you think of the course, is it interesting/dull and would you recommend? Not sure if I'll be missing out in the respect that I have an offer from Warwick for law with French whereas Durham is just pure law. How long are the terms in Durham?
    The course is interesting. In terms of pure law, you won't get much of a difference between the higher ranked Russell Group universities, having talked to some of my friends doing law at LSE and UCL, they pretty much do the same things, but maybe in a different order or structure. So if you like law, you can't go wrong with Durham. Is it Law with French Law or just Law with French at Warwick? Because if you really want to take French classes, you can choose some modules from the language department in second and third year, or you could pay extra for language courses offered from the University.
    You can take a look at the term dates here:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/dates/
    Terms are pretty short tbh, it is probably one of my complaints about Durham. Everything is crammed into two months and we barely have enough time to process the information and learn it properly. Plus our vacation time between terms is really long, which means fewer contact hours and more crammed terms. It is the same as Oxbridge. It really stresses me out how little time we have for our essay deadlines whilst being required to read the material for lectures and seminars as well. But if you are organised and you can keep up, you will be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.