Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,

I am going to be a MSW (Master of Social Work) student next fall. I live in Quebec, my degree would be in French. I am considering more and more doing a doctorate afterwards but am still unsure at this point. For those of you who have a PhD in social sciences, what do you which you knew during your master's studies? Do you have any advice for me?

Thank you,
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking to apply to the UK? I think your first concern should be that your degree is in French and either bringing your English up to academic standard (apologies for the assumption, it may already be) or being able to prove that it is. At your stage think about what areas of research interest you and why, who is doing relevant research in the area and can you make contact with them and start putting our feelers about PhD places. What funding do you need and what are you eligible for?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently studying in an English institution where students are allowed to submit all written work in French so I do believe that my English is strong enough in order for me to do that. I am looking in my province.
    I have a couple of topics that interest me but I do not know how to choose one at this point.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This is a UK site so you may struggle to get responses on here about your province. I will move this to the international study section where you may get better responses. Don't worry about not having a topic at the moment. It will come with time as you explore your options and interests when doing your masters but do keep in mind what I said about networking.

ReputationRep:
    he way I understand it it that an MSW (I have one) is a professional/practice degree and a PhD is an academic/research degree.
    If you want to practice social work (therapy, community organizing, program evaluation, casework, teach practice courses etc) An MSW (and later a license for direct practice) is the terminal degree for the profession.
    If you want to conduct and publish your own research, win federal research grants, become a tenured professor. a PHD is advised.
    I am in the midst of deciding to go back...I have found that some programs will pay your way plus living expenses for at least 4 years as a matter of policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.