The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
d
As an alternative to having separate subforums, what does everyone think about having categorised, read-only subforums as archives, i.e.:

Root - Post anywhere
Archive :
- University Discussion
- GCSE Discussion
- UCAS Discussion

etc. etc.

Thanks for your feedback :smile:

could you elabourate on this?? i dont really understand!

if we had ukstudent as a subforum like this one, the mods could move everything uni related over there, that way they would be forced to use it. then once the base of users was there, we could switch it to the new forum if necessary. i like the idea of having sub forum, forum 7 stylee
Reply 2
Ollie
could you elabourate on this?? i dont really understand!

if we had ukstudent as a subforum like this one, the mods could move everything uni related over there, that way they would be forced to use it. then once the base of users was there, we could switch it to the new forum if necessary. i like the idea of having sub forum, forum 7 stylee

Sorry for not explaning it properly.

Basically, after 5 pages of posts, things generally tend not to get posted to for a while. What I was thinking is that we could then move these dead posts into subforums, that would make it easier to browse and read the older posts. That wouldn't be the main place to post something, it would just be if someone wanted to look at all of the older posts on something like UCAS and get an idea of what was said beforehand. The chief complaint levelled against the system with separate subforums (i.e. that it was an arse to choose which forum to post to) is thus overcome, but yet we also derive the maximum value from the archived content.
Reply 3
d
As an alternative to having separate subforums, what does everyone think about having categorised, read-only subforums as archives, i.e.:

Root - Post anywhere
Archive :
- University Discussion
- GCSE Discussion
- UCAS Discussion

etc. etc.

Thanks for your feedback :smile:

I assume you mean that the posts are moved by mods into their appropriate archive subforum after they drop below a certain activity level (maybe off of the xth page or something; this would be better than a certain age, I think)?

That sounds like a very good idea as it would be the closest to pleasing both the people who want lack of order and those who want order.

I say go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 4
rahaydenuk
I assume you mean that the posts are moved by mods into their appropriate archive subforum after they drop below a certain activity level (maybe off of the xth page or something; this would be better than a certain age, I think)?

That sounds like a very good idea as it would be the closest to pleasing both the people who want lack of order and those who want order.

Thanks Richard, you seemed to understand what I'm talking about. Great to have your backing!
Reply 5
rahaydenuk

thats quiet alot, bout 2 pages a day to move.
although i agree does sound excellent.
myself im going for sub forums for uni kids. in the same way forum 7 is. uni kids seem in the minority and a slower forum would suit this better??
Reply 6
Ollie
thats quiet alot, bout 2 pages a day to move.
although i agree does sound excellent.
myself im going for sub forums for uni kids. in the same way forum 7 is. uni kids seem in the minority and a slower forum would suit this better??

Hi Ollie,

It would be a mass-move, done automatically by keword every couple of months.

Would people prefer a university subforum?
Reply 7
d
Hi Ollie,

It would be a mass-move, done automatically by keword every couple of months.

Hey guys,

if you don't mind, shall i move this into the main forum for further discussion?
Reply 8
d

:biggrin:

you could always try any of these for a trial. sub forum sounds easiest to pull off tho

(no probs with move)
Reply 9
Ollie
:biggrin:

you could always try any of these for a trial. sub forum sounds easiest to pull off tho

Yep, that's very true. I had hoped to build in all of this extra stuff, but I guess that needs more time. In fact, no, it may be completely pointless.
Reply 10
d
Yep, that's very true. I had hoped to build in all of this extra stuff, but I guess that needs more time. In fact, no, it may be completely pointless.

what is classed as extra stuff?
Reply 11
As far as I'm concerned the closer we get to sub forums the better. But I'm an extreme Neo-Subforumist :biggrin:.
Reply 12
Ollie
what is classed as extra stuff?

Basically, everyone had a university and course field and then you could see how else was doing your course. Perhaps if it achieved a critical mass it may have been worthwhile, but when it hasn't got that scale it's difficult to justify.

Perhaps I might be able to build it in to UK-Learning later on.
Reply 13
Koloth
As far as I'm concerned the closer we get to sub forums the better. But I'm an extreme Neo-Subforumist :biggrin:.

when i say sub forums, i dont mean like completly separate, i mean main and sub (u no d :wink:)
Reply 14
Koloth

:biggrin: _______________
Reply 15
Koloth

Me too! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Ollie
when i say sub forums, i dont mean like completly separate, i mean main and sub (u no d :wink:)

Yep, :smile: as with forum 7
Reply 17
rahaydenuk
Me too! :biggrin:

Yay! ________
Reply 18
d
Yep, :smile: as with forum 7

yep exactly, i wasnt sure i was allowed to say u-no-what
Reply 19
Ollie
yep exactly, i wasnt sure i was allowed to say u-no-who