Moltenmo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Someone help me! This makes no sense whatsoever. If mineral ions are found in very dilute solutions (with high concentration of water and low concentration of sugar), which are absorbed by plants (which are less dilute), how is this active transport and not diffusion?

Someone clear this confusion please!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Eehaj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Basically, the root contains more minerals than the soil but it still needs more minerals from the soil so it takes it up by active transport. The water will be uptaken by osmosis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moltenmo)
Someone help me! This makes no sense whatsoever. If mineral ions are found in very dilute solutions (with high concentration of water and low concentration of sugar), which are absorbed by plants (which are less dilute), how is this active transport and not diffusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The concentration of ions in the soil is lower than the concentration of ions in the plants.
or
The concentration of ions in the plant is higher than the concentration of ions in the soil.

Therefore, ions move from the soil into the plant against a concentration gradient.
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The gradient is from the plant to the soil, so to take up the nutrients the plant must actively move them up the concentration gradient, the opposite way to simple diffusion.
emduck
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diffusion occurs from where there is a high concentration of something to a low concentration of something following a concentration gradient. In the case you mentioned there is a low concentration of mineral ions and they are absorbed by a plant which has a higher concentration of mineral ions, this cannot occur by diffusion as it goes against the concentration gradient. Therefore active transport must occur as the plant has to work to move the minerals across.

I think this is right.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emduck)
Diffusion occurs from where there is a high concentration of something to a low concentration of something following a concentration gradient. In the case you mentioned there is a low concentration of mineral ions and they are absorbed by a plant which has a higher concentration of mineral ions, this cannot occur by diffusion as it goes against the concentration gradient. Therefore active transport must occur as the plant has to work to move the minerals across.

I think this is right.
Spot on Energy is required to move ions against a concentration gradient, and this is why active, rather than passive transport is required.
Moltenmo
Rep:
?
(Original post by AshEntropy)
The concentration of ions in the soil is lower than the concentration of ions in the plants.
or
The concentration of ions in the plant is higher than the concentration of ions in the soil.

Therefore, ions move from the soil into the plant against a concentration gradient.
Thank you! I just wasn't sure whether the concentration of ions in the soil was greater or less than the concentration of ions in the plant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moltenmo
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone! The power of a clickbait title lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I just wasn't sure whether the concentration of ions in the soil was greater or less than the concentration of ions in the plant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problemo friendo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed