Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am currently in my final year of my nursing studies but have decided I want to pursue medicine after I qualify. I'm aiming to get a first or a 2:1. Nursing has obviously provided me with some biology knowledge, however I my maths, chemistry and physics is really poor and I didn't do any science A levels.

I'm going to take a year off after finishing my current degree to learn the science subjects and prepare for the 2018 GAMSAT and UKCAT while working part time as a nurse. Is it worth going to college for evening classes (they're fairly expensive)? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a year off to prep for either exam really. The UKCAT can definitely be done with 4-6 weeks of 1 hour per night prep (ISC book/Medify). It's also fairly inexpensive compared to the GAMSAT, and requires no scientific knowledge, give it a shot!

The GAMSAT is a different beast. Night classes may be helpful, but it's entirely possible to self learn all the material. Resources like Griffiths GAMSAT review, GAMSAT Gold Standard, and Des O'Neille, along with more general non-GAMSAT resources such as Khan Academy will allow you to teach yourself. If some subjects or areas are completely bewildering then perhaps hire a personal tutor online, I did this for some areas of organic chemistry just to make sure I was along the right lines and the sessions were £10p/h iirc.

The GAMSAT definitely requires more prep time than the UKCAT. Some can manage with a few months with just a couple of hours per day, but before my third exam I did 6 months of 3+hours revision and still only scraped through to interview stage this year.

Have a read of the current and 2018 GAMSAT threads on this forum for more advice and ideas. However, if you have more questions I'll help in whatever way I can.

ReputationRep:
    With no science A levels and a professional degree like Nursing, I think it's virtually mandatory for you to do some serious work if you're thinking of doing GAMSAT - if you think that work is best carried out in a structured setting like night school (I would agree this is the case) then do it. It's probably the best preparation for these subjects - otherwise you're going to have to do it all yourself from textbooks etc (or distance learning ) which requires much dedication and hard work.

I suspect you could get away with much, much less physics and chemistry knowledge for the UKCAT, but I would still want at least a good grounding it them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.