The Student Room Group

Getting paranoid that your partner is earning more than you?

My girlfriend will be earning 28k a year in about 2 years time, while i'll still have 3 years of university left!! Just afraid that she'll be the higher earner for a couple of years that she might leave me for someone who is earning around the same salary. Is this a me being paranoid or could this happen.
Original post by Jackada2000
My girlfriend will be earning 28k a year in about 2 years time, while i'll still have 3 years of university left!! Just afraid that she'll be the higher earner for a couple of years that she might leave me for someone who is earning around the same salary. Is this a me being paranoid or could this happen.

You are being paranoid. So what if she earns more than you? I know some men have this thing where they get embarrassed if their wife/gf earns more than them but it's not a big deal. I've been in relationships where I've had a job and my boyfriend has been unemployed. I didn't leave them, they left me. If your girlfriend was going to leave you because of money, then she's stupid and not worth your effort. Stop being silly and go and get your girlfriend some flowers and stop doubting her.
If she was only in it for the money she wouldn't got with a university student in the first place, they're mostly poor.
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If she was only in it for the money she wouldn't got with a university student in the first place, they're mostly poor.
She is a university student
Reply 4
Yes, she will
Yes it could happen... just like she could quit her job or get fired tomorrow or break up with you next week.
The future is unpredictable, so why fuss over it? (Easier said than done, I know.)
Enjoy the now!
The key to a healthy relationship is trust and communication.
Reply 6
It can happen but you are being paranoid if that's what you think is going to happen. You're still together so why not enjoy your relationship with her instead of worrying about whether she's going to leave you.
Original post by Jackada2000
She is a university student

That's irrelevant, I was talking about you.

Quick Reply

Latest