Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting paranoid that your partner is earning more than you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend will be earning 28k a year in about 2 years time, while i'll still have 3 years of university left!! Just afraid that she'll be the higher earner for a couple of years that she might leave me for someone who is earning around the same salary. Is this a me being paranoid or could this happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackada2000)
    My girlfriend will be earning 28k a year in about 2 years time, while i'll still have 3 years of university left!! Just afraid that she'll be the higher earner for a couple of years that she might leave me for someone who is earning around the same salary. Is this a me being paranoid or could this happen.
    You are being paranoid. So what if she earns more than you? I know some men have this thing where they get embarrassed if their wife/gf earns more than them but it's not a big deal. I've been in relationships where I've had a job and my boyfriend has been unemployed. I didn't leave them, they left me. If your girlfriend was going to leave you because of money, then she's stupid and not worth your effort. Stop being silly and go and get your girlfriend some flowers and stop doubting her.

ReputationRep:
    If she was only in it for the money she wouldn't got with a university student in the first place, they're mostly poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If she was only in it for the money she wouldn't got with a university student in the first place, they're mostly poor.
    She is a university student

ReputationRep:
    Yes, she will

ReputationRep:
    Yes it could happen... just like she could quit her job or get fired tomorrow or break up with you next week.
    The future is unpredictable, so why fuss over it? (Easier said than done, I know.)
    Enjoy the now!
    The key to a healthy relationship is trust and communication.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It can happen but you are being paranoid if that's what you think is going to happen. You're still together so why not enjoy your relationship with her instead of worrying about whether she's going to leave you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackada2000)
    She is a university student
    That's irrelevant, I was talking about you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.