Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protesters arrested on Inauguration Day will face 10 years in prison Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    The first paragraph is just laughable, I called you out on your BS and you decide to try and deflect it onto me, not happening mate, I'm perfectly sound of mind right now and prepared to explain to you how much of a ****ing imbecile you are.

So apparently black people get longer sentences and treated worse for the same crimes, tell that to these two:

Attachment 613668

You want to know the sentences?

The white kid got death row, the black kid gets to spend the rest of his life in prison, DESPITE KILLING MORE PEOPLE.

Attachment 613670

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You triggered?

1 case does not prove anything. On average, white men get shorter sentences then black men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayan98)
    You triggered?

1 case does not prove anything. On average, white men get shorter sentences then black men.
    I'd advise going back and getting some basic primary education, your reading comprehension is clearly not up to scratch.

You'll see in the first paragraph of the post you quoted that I am indeed not 'triggered' but simply trying to educate one of the many troglodytes that infest my generation because of poor parenting and a corrupt education system with a left wing bias.

To be fair, it's not your fault you've been brainwashed, blame the Shepards not the sheep.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise going back and getting some basic primary education, your reading comprehension is clearly not up to scratch.

You'll see in the first paragraph of the post you quoted that I am indeed not 'triggered' but simply trying to educate one of the many troglodytes that infest my generation because of poor parenting and a corrupt education system with a left wing bias.

To be fair, it's not your fault you've been brainwashed, blame the Shepards not the sheep.
    You sound triggered.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Seems like you've been brainwashed too considering you were talking about 'black privilege'.

There's no privilege for any race...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Whilst this punishment is extreme how ridiculous is it that people are protesting against a democratically elected leader

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So people can't protest in a democracy? Is that not the whole point of a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    The fact Malvo was not legally eligible for the death penalty in the state he was tried in just might have something to do with that.
    Not just in the state. The meme ostensibly showing all the supposed similarities between the two missed the one thing that was the actual difference behind their sentences - that Roof was 21 whereas Malvo was only 17, and due to the Supreme Court's ruling on the matter, a death sentence cannot be handed down for a crime committed under the age of 18. Indeed, prior to the SC decision (which was after Malvo's arrest but before the formal commencement of his trial), everyone was expecting the prosecution to seek the death penalty.

On a more minor point, it's also worth noting that Malvo seemed to have enough sense to defer to his lawyers during the trial, while Roof repeatedly ignored legal advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    >these people will now be under the mercy of the Aryan Brotherhood.
    That's hilarious. By rioting against the phantom racism of the Trump administration they've delivered themselves in chains to actual neo-Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayan98)
    You triggered?

On average they commit less crimes, so on average they're going to be reoffenders less often, so on average they would get shorter sentences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepe12)
    Yet rapists get 6 months #Murica
    rapists get 6months? lol this is a good example of a rape myth perpetuated by feminazis. In the US rapists face life imprisonment ...

6 months...lol only women and nut jobs get light sentences for rape...actually, women can't even be charged with rape in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Not just in the state. The meme ostensibly showing all the supposed similarities between the two missed the one thing that was the actual difference behind their sentences - that Roof was 21 whereas Malvo was only 17, and due to the Supreme Court's ruling on the matter, a death sentence cannot be handed down for a crime committed under the age of 18. Indeed, prior to the SC decision (which was after Malvo's arrest but before the formal commencement of his trial), everyone was expecting the prosecution to seek the death penalty.

On a more minor point, it's also worth noting that Malvo seemed to have enough sense to defer to his lawyers during the trial, while Roof repeatedly ignored legal advice.
    That shouldn't matter, equality before law is a cornerstone of a civilised western liberal democracy. Same crime should always equal same sentence, regardless of age, quality of legal defence or whatever. If the jury gives a verdict of guilty then the judge should aim to give a sentence which follows precedent.

I'll admit the state law stuff regarding the death penalty is a good point though that I will concede.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    rapists get 6months? lol this is a good example of a rape myth perpetuated by feminizes. Rapists in the US face life imprsionment for rape...

6 months...lol only women and nut jobs get light sentences for rape...actually, women can't even be charged with rape in the USA.
    Or the United Kingdom. Except "women with penises" of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Or the United Kingdom. Except "women with penises" of course.
    If there ever was such a thing as a rape culture....women would be the main beneficiaries of its ills...not just in the USA or the UK but across the globe.

ReputationRep:
    I wholly disagree with this, you should be allowed to protest in a 'democracy' (if they were being excessively violent I understand) and I am astonished and how quick people are trying to defend this.

Let's lock people up because they're lefties? Are you mad? You cannot sit there and try to say that left-wingers impose on freedom of speech etc. and then demand those who don't hold the same views as you be locked away, the hypocrisy is rife.

I expect nothing less from this dumbass Trump era but honestly the attitudes of people on this forum continue to, somehow, surprise me.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Punishing criminals? What next firemen putting out fires? Doctors and nurses saving lives? What has this world come to? WHAT?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I wholly disagree with this, you should be allowed to protest in a 'democracy' (if they were being excessively violent I understand) and I am astonished and how quick people are trying to defend this.

Let's lock people up because they're lefties? Are you mad? You cannot sit there and try to say that left-wingers impose on freedom of speech etc. and then demand those who don't hold the same views as you be locked away, the hypocrisy is rife.

I expect nothing less from this dumbass Trump era but honestly the attitudes of people on this forum continue to, somehow, surprise me.
    They were arrested for vandalism, violence and public disorder. Not for peaceable assembly.

ReputationRep:
    That shouldn't matter, equality before law is a cornerstone of a civilised western liberal democracy.
    Equality before the law for adults of sound mind is a cornerstone of western liberal democracy. I'm unaware of any western liberal country or legal jurisdiction which doesn't have diminished legal responsibility for minors. Minors and adults aren't equal before the law - the former can't vote, get married, serve on a jury, or many other things that adults can do.

Same crime should always equal same sentence, regardless of age, quality of legal defence or whatever.
    Again, this completely flies in the face of Western legal tradition. Most crimes on the books include the possibility for aggravating or mitigating circumstances. The skill of a lawyer is often not getting a guilty or not guilty verdict, but being able to emphasise the circumstances to their client's favour.

If the jury gives a verdict of guilty then the judge should aim to give a sentence which follows precedent.
    The jury didn't give a verdict of guilty for Malvo - he pleaded guilty from the start, while Roof pleaded not guilty. Do you think how a defendant pleads shouldn't matter in sentencing either, or do you understand why there are plea bargains?

ReputationRep:
    They're being salty assh0les, but 10 years is a tad hardcore. I can't see the extent of the damage, but the fine sounds appropriate.

Spoiler:
    Show

Its not like Hillary would make a better president. Both candidates suck. #feelthebern #bringbackgrampabernie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    They're being salty assh0les, but 10 years is a tad hardcore. I can't see the extent of the damage, but the fine sounds appropriate.

Spoiler:
    Show

Its not like Hillary would make a better president. Both candidates suck. #feelthebern #bringbackgrampabernie

Bernie was even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Totally deserved.

ReputationRep:
    Have you even watched the videos circulating?!

No, let's lock up violent criminals. End of.

Doesn't surprise me you're a filthy apologist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.