Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One of the hardest hitting signs from yesterday's march Watch

The stark contrast to the yuppy selfie takers next to her can not be understated. That's how I imagine the face of bourgeois feminism.

It seems to me that feminism in the West glosses over society's racism, and just serves as a platform for white women to claim to be the victim, when the biggest victims of all are black women. Hell, even black men have it worse than white women, something feminism seems to ignore.

That's not surprising, given feminism's history. The feminists of old could not abide the fact that black men were given more of a say than white women. They argued that giving white women the vote would "help counter the black vote".

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Sassy one detected. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I thought this was meant to be a "march" for "women's rights", and now they're bringing race into it. It's no wonder the left are in complete disarray when they can't even protest in solidarity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The movement is eating itself up from the inside.

ReputationRep:
    I still have absolutely no idea what these marches were meant to be about.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the thread was going to be about one of the women whacking a bloke with a placard

ReputationRep:
    I doubt those white women voted for trump...

The answer to this is intersectionality and class consciousness.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I doubt those white women voted for trump...
    No, but the fact is that the suffering of minorities should not be ignored in favour of the much lesser suffering of white women, which the media pays a lot more attention to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Capt Obvious for pointing out the ****ing obvious, how will we ever survive without you?

ReputationRep:
    Impressive. She out-victimed those around her even in a rally of self-proclaimed victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    No, but the fact is that the suffering of minorities should not be ignored in favour of the much lesser suffering of white women, which the media pays a lot more attention to.
    The answer to this is intersectionality and class consciousness.

There was racism is feminism (and probably still is) but anti racism that has been incorporated into the left compared to say the early 20th century. Even back in the then there were anti racist feminists like There is nothing about feminism that makes it fundamentally racist. As always in these threads they treat feminist history as if it was just one homogenouse movement. There were/are many strains of it. Louise Michel was a feminist who was anti-racist from that time period.

IF you are going to campaign against feminism because you think it is racist you are going to help no one and just help the regressives. You can either be harmful to feminism and anti racism and just moan how awful feminism is, or you can criticise it constructivly with the aim of making feminism stronger by making sure it is intersectional and is anti-racist. That black woman with that sign will be a feminist. Do you hate her? What about all the black feminists? You do not help them by playing the right's game and just tarnishing feminism with the aim of ridiculing it rather than wanting to make it better and more egalitarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManiaMuse)
    I still have absolutely no idea what these marches were meant to be about.
    They're not about anything. They're just yet another cry for attention from liberals who can't stand not getting their own way.

ReputationRep:
    www.hewillnotdivide.us
    I wish I was in America to mess this up.
    Occassionally /pol/bros come along and troll.

ReputationRep:
    Feminists are disgusting in my opinion, They want more rights and stuff yet they blatantly dismiss the fact the "perks" they're drowning in.

(Original post by Carthaginian)
    www.hewillnotdivide.us
    I wish I was in America to mess this up.
    Occassionally /pol/bros come along and troll.
    ****ing hell, please have a warning for headphone users...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    There is no suffering of white women. They are the most priviliged class in the world.
    Somehow you've managed to top even the stupidest placards in that protest, including one that read "grab him by the balls" - and at least that was funny. .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Somehow you've managed to top even the stupidest placards in that protest, including one that read "grab him by the balls" - and at least that was funny. .
    Prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Prove me wrong.
    White women suffer tremendously in countless ways, as do all races and genders. There is nothing to prove; your comment is self-evidently wrong and, by definition, racist.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is so trendy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    White women suffer tremendously in countless ways, as do all races and genders. There is nothing to prove; your comment is self-evidently wrong and, by definition, racist.
    How is calling a particular race the most privileged racist? In what way does it show dislike for people of that race?

Anyway he's wrong, in the US Asian Americans are the 'most privileged' based on the sort of stars SJWs use to show 'white male privilege'. However he's right to some extent, feminism has done such a good job that in the UK and USA white women outrank white men in the privilege league table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.