The Student Room Group

Share your driving test experience

Hi all! :smile:

I have my driving test in 1 week. As the title says, share your experiences, when did you take your test? How many times did it take you to pass? Why did you fail?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Moved to learning to drive :smile:

I'm still taking lessons and haven't sat my test yet other than my theory so haven't got much advice to offer but want to wish you the best of luck for your test and be sure to let us know how you get on :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Spock's Socks
Moved to learning to drive :smile:

I'm still taking lessons and haven't sat my test yet other than my theory so haven't got much advice to offer but want to wish you the best of luck for your test and be sure to let us know how you get on :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Hopefully it will go well! How did you get on in your theory? 😊
Original post by Rexar

I have my driving test in 1 week. As the title says, share your experiences, when did you take your test? How many times did it take you to pass? Why did you fail?

I passed both my theory and practical driving tests first time, the practical test with 3 minors. I have to say that taking my driving test was the scariest thing I've done in recent memory (I took it last August)! I was okay while waiting, but the second I started driving I just fell apart and made several silly mistakes within the first 5 minutes or so. My examiner was sighing and shaking his head, so I was convinced I'd failed. I relaxed then and the rest of my test went without any problems, but I was still shocked when I found out I'd passed!

I had a driving lesson for one hour before my test, and I think it was definitely helpful. It gave me time to get comfortable driving before the test and it gave me the chance to go over the show me tell me questions, manouevres etc so that they would be fresh in my mind. Best of luck with your test! :smile:
I passed my theory first time. I had my second practical 2 weeks ago and I failed with 1 minor and one serious. I had to pull over between two parked cars which was fine but when I pulled over I was too close to the car in front. The examiner told me to move off whenever I was ready and I thought I could make it without reversing. As I started moving out the examiner stepped on the brake and told me I needed to reverse. She let me finish the test. After all the independent driving and stuff we got back to the test centre and she told me I failed. I was so mad cuz I only had 1 minor and would have passed if I just reversed before moving out. 😡 and now I got it next week and this time I hope I don't do silly things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you very much! And well done in passing your test! 😄I am going to have a lesson before my test as well which will hopefully put me at ease. I have still yet to learn the show me tell me questions, but I will get started on them asap. 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by Rexar
Thanks! Hopefully it will go well! How did you get on in your theory? 😊

I passed first time, thankfully :smile: hoping to pass my practical by summer but if I pass it in the next ten years I'll be happy :colondollar: I'm not good when it comes to anything remotely practical, even driving :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed first time, despite stalling within the first minute!! There was a big commotion on the main road as there was an impatient lorry driver blocking half of the road, and I panicked when he started waving his hands at me. :colondollar: It went alright for the most part, and my instructor was so friendly. But then we got onto the dual carriageway and there were roadworks, so we were stuck near the roundabout and going 20mph for about 10 mins haha. If you have an emergency stop, they will tell you to pull up and they say that it will be soon. They also look around to make sure there're no cars behind, so they won't suddenly spring it on you :smile:

The best thing to do is not to panic (which is easier said than done, I guess). You can have plenty of minors and still pass, so don't let a small mistake near the beginning throw you off. The best of luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dont leave blank
I passed my theory first time. I had my second practical 2 weeks ago and I failed with 1 minor and one serious. I had to pull over between two parked cars which was fine but when I pulled over I was too close to the car in front. The examiner told me to move off whenever I was ready and I thought I could make it without reversing. As I started moving out the examiner stepped on the brake and told me I needed to reverse. She let me finish the test. After all the independent driving and stuff we got back to the test centre and she told me I failed. I was so mad cuz I only had 1 minor and would have passed if I just reversed before moving out. 😡 and now I got it next week and this time I hope I don't do silly things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that doesn't seem like much of a bad mistake for me, certainly not enough to fail your test. On the plus it sounds like the rest of your driving was good so I'm sure you will pass next time! Best of luck for next week 😊
Reply 9
Original post by Lauren-x-
I passed first time, despite stalling within the first minute!! There was a big commotion on the main road as there was an impatient lorry driver blocking half of the road, and I panicked when he started waving his hands at me. :colondollar: It went alright for the most part, and my instructor was so friendly. But then we got onto the dual carriageway and there were roadworks, so we were stuck near the roundabout and going 20mph for about 10 mins haha. If you have an emergency stop, they will tell you to pull up and they say that it will be soon. They also look around to make sure there're no cars behind, so they won't suddenly spring it on you :smile:

The best thing to do is not to panic (which is easier said than done, I guess). You can have plenty of minors and still pass, so don't let a small mistake near the beginning throw you off. The best of luck! :smile:

Thanks allot! And well done in passing! 😊
Reply 10
Took my test about a month ago and passed 1st time with 1 minor :biggrin:. Had about 25 lessons.

It goes by very quickly. Of course I was initially very nervous but you just have to push through the nerves and get on with it. Essentially you are doing exactly what you have been doing for the past x number of months, only this time it's some stranger with you rather than your instructor. Be aware of whatever weaknesses you happen to have but at the same time try not to overthink things. Do what feels natural in whatever situation you find yourself in.

Also, never rush into anything or take an unnecessary risks.It doesn't matter if there are a queue of cars behind you if it is not safe enough to go do not go. I took what seemed like an eternity when I tried to enter an annoyingly busy main road from a side road. Had to "lean and creep" because my view was obstructed. People behind me were beeping and getting annoyed but in those situations you can't be pressured. I'm not gonna risk failing my test due to your impatience lol. The test guy said I handled that situation well in my feedback because I only proceeded when it was safe despite the road rage from the people behind me

Good luck!
Passed second time. Failed first time for driving on a bus lane. Whoops. :getmecoat: The next time I took it I passed with five minors.
Reply 12
Original post by STLJA
Took my test about a month ago and passed 1st time with 1 minor :biggrin:. Had about 25 lessons.

It goes by very quickly. Of course I was initially very nervous but you just have to push through the nerves and get on with it. Essentially you are doing exactly what you have been doing for the past x number of months, only this time it's some stranger with you rather than your instructor. Be aware of whatever weaknesses you happen to have but at the same time try not to overthink things. Do what feels natural in whatever situation you find yourself in.

Also, never rush into anything or take an unnecessary risks.It doesn't matter if there are a queue of cars behind you if it is not safe enough to go do not go. I took what seemed like an eternity when I tried to enter an annoyingly busy main road from a side road. Had to "lean and creep" because my view was obstructed. People behind me were beeping and getting annoyed but in those situations you can't be pressured. I'm not gonna risk failing my test due to your impatience lol. The test guy said I handled that situation well in my feedback because I only proceeded when it was safe despite the road rage from the people behind me

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice and well done in passing your test! 😊
Reply 13
Original post by Mr Smurf
Passed second time. Failed first time for driving on a bus lane. Whoops. :getmecoat: The next time I took it I passed with five minors.

I did that before, I find it so hard to read the bus sign times, think about what day and time it is, and then make a conscious decision which lane to take all in a short period of time, all I can't hope for is there not to be many bus lanes where I am taking my test 😆
Original post by Rexar
Wow, that doesn't seem like much of a bad mistake for me, certainly not enough to fail your test. On the plus it sounds like the rest of your driving was good so I'm sure you will pass next time! Best of luck for next week 😊

Thanks and Good luck to you 2 !! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed on my third try. I firmly believe I would've passed the first time but my examiner grabbed the wheel and I just gave up after that. After the test, she told me I actually did NOT get a serious fault from that (I kid you not, her exact words were 'I may have overreacted') but from a silly mistake I made while changing lanes after I had given up all hope on passing. On my second test, I was just not in the zone at all, I was in a bad place mentally and did not feel ready. Less than a month later, I did my third test and I felt much more positive and confident.. Also did it on a saturday morning! Which made a lot of a difference since I was doing the test in London! So I guess all I can say, is DO NOT give up and if you don't feel up to the test, either try to change your mentality or reschedule it.

My first test I got 4 minors and a serious, second I had 6? minors and a serious and my third i had 3
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rexar

It took me 3 attempts to pass my practical test. I genuinely would've passed on my 1st attempt (back in August), but when I had to perform a manoeuvre and kept stalling so the examiner had to intervene and help, 2nd attempt (back in September) I did a lot worse (made my stalling in the 1st attempt look like a minor :lol: -.-) as I had someone sit in on the test observing the examiner, so it made me so nervous I just messed up, and I passed on my 3rd attempt back in October :biggrin:!

Good luck for your test :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by ohhello92x
It took me 3 attempts to pass my practical test. I genuinely would've passed on my 1st attempt (back in August), but when I had to perform a manoeuvre and kept stalling so the examiner had to intervene and help, 2nd attempt (back in September) I did a lot worse (made my stalling in the 1st attempt look like a minor :lol: -.-) as I had someone sit in on the test observing the examiner, so it made me so nervous I just messed up, and I passed on my 3rd attempt back in October :biggrin:!

Good luck for your test :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! 😊
Reply 18
Original post by goodvibes
Passed on my third try. I firmly believe I would've passed the first time but my examiner grabbed the wheel and I just gave up after that. After the test, she told me I actually did NOT get a serious fault from that (I kid you not, her exact words were 'I may have overreacted':wink: but from a silly mistake I made while changing lanes after I had given up all hope on passing. On my second test, I was just not in the zone at all, I was in a bad place mentally and did not feel ready. Less than a month later, I did my third test and I felt much more positive and confident.. Also did it on a saturday morning! Which made a lot of a difference since I was doing the test in London! So I guess all I can say, is DO NOT give up and if you don't feel up to the test, either try to change your mentality or reschedule it.

My first test I got 4 minors and a serious, second I had 6? minors and a serious and my third i had 3

Thanks for the advice!☺️
Original post by Rexar
Thanks so much! 😊

You're welcome :smile: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest