Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone assume that you can't be poor and a vegan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to deny that veganism will limit your options in a supermarket, but i can say from first hand experience, as a previously homeless, skint as **** student with a disability that you can be poor and still eat vegan and eat healthily as well.
    It just pisses me off that people keep saying that veganism is only for rich white abled people.

ReputationRep:
    Veggies/vegans do tend to be wealthier and better educated than meat eaters, but I've never head anyone claim that you can't be poor and vegan. Lentils and tofu are a damned sight cheaper than a lot of meat.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really heard this before either - it's certainly cheaper to eat as vegetarian than as a meat eater, and though I'm not sure about vegan, I can't imagine it's exceptionally different in cost!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Veggies/vegans do tend to be wealthier and better educated than meat eaters, but I've never head anyone claim that you can't be poor and vegan. Lentils and tofu are a damned sight cheaper than a lot of meat.
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I haven't really heard this before either - it's certainly cheaper to eat as vegetarian than as a meat eater, and though I'm not sure about vegan, I can't imagine it's exceptionally different in cost!
    I've actually heard it a lot. It's always "oh I'd go vegan/vegetarian/eat healthier but it's too expensive!" No clue where the hell they get it from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    I've actually heard it a lot. It's always "oh I'd go vegan/vegetarian/eat healthier but it's too expensive!" No clue where the hell they get it from.
    I suppose with veganism may be associated with 'upperclass' since it's recent trend, but I really don't think there's any rationale behind it!

ReputationRep:
    Generally if you are working class and poor your life tends to be a bit a ****. That makes not eating nice foods like meat harder. A middle class vegan who has high life satisfaction can get happy feelings from elsewhere where as your wage slave relies on cigs, booze and junk food (meat) to get moments of escape. If we made life less awful I'm sure we could would have more people open to eating less meat.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you're eating.

Many of the world's poorest people have virtually vegan diets, and being vegetarian's definitely cheaper than eating meat all the time.

The main issue is that a lot of vegan foods are quite upper-class food products, and as such are more expensive.

If you're vegan you may also require nutritional supplements, which are often found in more expensive places like health-food shops.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.