The Student Room Group

Average GCSEs or more of them

So here's the question: what's more important average grade at gcse or number.

E.g. If I have 7a* 3 a 3b am I a better or worse candidate for a place at uni when compared to someone with 7a* 3a (assume that the 3bs were irelivent to the course applied for and the candidates had otherwise achieved identical grades on both the entence exam and and had a comparable personal statement)
If we go by what they do for medicine, then number of A* and % of A* are weighted equally.

So in your example, the one without 3Bs is better.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Now let's change a variable
Say the candidate who's grades are worth less got a higher score in there admissions test (assume the other got acsepted average) how much higher must the candidates score be for a stait of the applications being equal
Original post by Knightstardust
So here's the question: what's more important average grade at gcse or number.

E.g. If I have 7a* 3 a 3b am I a better or worse candidate for a place at uni when compared to someone with 7a* 3a (assume that the 3bs were irelivent to the course applied for and the candidates had otherwise achieved identical grades on both the entence exam and and had a comparable personal statement)

i think they look at top 8 usually so id say th 7a* 3a 3b as it shows to unis you can handle vast amounts of pressure
Original post by Knightstardust
Now let's change a variable
Say the candidate who's grades are worth less got a higher score in there admissions test (assume the other got acsepted average) how much higher must the candidates score be for a stait of the applications being equal

That depends on the years cohort sitting the test. The 2016 shortlisted cohort had an average score of 63% and 10 A* at GCSE.
If you look at this graph its clear that the less well you score on the BMAT the less successful you are going to be at getting shortlisted for interview. Common logic would say that there is a correlation between applicants with <10A* scoring lower than average BMAT scores, with some obviously bucking this trend to gain an interview.

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending