Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    During a science ISA exam under the AQA exam board a mate of mine was caught using his phone. His claim is that he recieved a text during the exam (the phone was on silent so no one heard) and looked at it under the table.

Although the teacher in the room did not notice a fellow teacher unluckily walked past the door and spotted him. The teacher later informed the student she had seen him although did not specify any punishment or if she was going to contact the exam board.

My friend is quite worried about this and is concerned he may be disqualified from the GCSE. Does anyone know or have any experience into what the saction is likely to be?

ReputationRep:
    he might be okay if he proves that it was only a text, which he would have had to prove around the time it happened
    I once came into an exam late and got to my desk with my phone, but technically that meant that I "had my phone out during an exam" so I was penalised but they later excused me based on the circumstances
    edit: actually, I don't know about this...if they explicitly said "no phones out" and he ignored that statement while he was already at his desk, then that's different to my case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    he might be okay if he proves that it was only a text, which he would have had to prove around the time it happened
    I once came into an exam late and got to my desk with my phone, but technically that meant that I "had my phone out during an exam" so I was penalised but they later excused me based on the circumstances
    edit: actually, I don't know about this...if they explicitly said "no phones out" and he ignored that statement while he was already at his desk, then that's different to my case
    As it happens we were never explicitly told not to have phones in the room. Although this was the third ISA we have done this year so would have been expected to know as all such exams are done under high control.

ReputationRep:
    Ofc he'll be disqualified, providing they report to the exam board (which may or may not happen).

He deserves it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverninthered)
    During a science ISA exam under the AQA exam board a mate of mine was caught using his phone. His claim is that he recieved a text during the exam (the phone was on silent so no one heard) and looked at it under the table.

Although the teacher in the room did not notice a fellow teacher unluckily walked past the door and spotted him. The teacher later informed the student she had seen him although did not specify any punishment or if she was going to contact the exam board.

My friend is quite worried about this and is concerned he may be disqualified from the GCSE. Does anyone know or have any experience into what the saction is likely to be?
    IF the school report the incident, and according to the regulations they absolutely should, then the most likely sanction is that he gets disqualified and receives no marks for that ISA. If they have any reason to think that it's not an isolated incident then he could be disqualified from all ISA taken with that examiner. The school should tell him if they report it. He can find the rules and procedures about cheating in exams on the JCQ web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.