Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum
    BUT
    I'm on an undergraduate degree and I missed a lot of morning lessons in certain lessons due to personal issues, and one of my tutors resented me for it.
    I spent hours on an assignment for this particular lesson, and I understand attendance affects the quality of your grades but I have had a 2.1 and above for all of my other assignments, SO
    I was graded 38% for this assignment, the reasoning given was that I wasn't EXACTLY specific in all of my examples and that my citations did not 'flow nicely', although I used this format in all of my other assignments and have had over 60% in all of them.
    In my feedback the tutor wrote that I needed to include in text citations, but I highlighted them and there were over 22, in an assignment capped at 1,500 words.
    I have applied for an appeal, because I feel the grade has been out of spite for not attending as many lessons as I could have,
    I know you guys haven't read it and don't know the course, but based on this, do you think this is fair? I'm happy to resit if the board agrees, it just seemed odd that the other students in the class who usually score a lot lower than me, scored higher in this assignment so evidently there is a difference in leniency.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the marking done anonymously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    I thought it was, but it was handed back to me with my name and not my student number on it.

ReputationRep:
    If the assignment asked for specific examples (as it would do because you have time to research / use what you've learned, unlike in a timed exam), I think the tutor has every right to mark you down.

You missed a lot of lessons. Other student may score lower than you, but because they attended the class they're in a better position to use the lecture/classroom time to improved their marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl0akincellar)
    I thought it was, but it was handed back to me with my name and not my student number on it.
    yh appeal it!

ReputationRep:
    Marking is done anon, but afterwards the staff will have to know the student name to get it back to the student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Marking is done anon, but afterwards the staff will have to know the student name to get it back to the student.
    Not at my uni, it got sent to the marking office for the students to pick up themselves.

ReputationRep:
    If the assignment asked for specific examples (as it would do because you have time to research / use what you've learned, unlike in a timed exam), I think the tutor has every right to mark you down.

You missed a lot of lessons. Other student may score lower than you, but because they attended the class they're in a better position to use the lecture/classroom time to improved their marks.
    I agree, like I said, I missed lessons, but I studied all of the presentations which were read out in class, and as explained from people who went to every lesson, this is one of those lecturers who reads from the powerpoint, and nothing else, there were never lesson handouts, only reading and studying from the information that I also received.
    But I agree, it could have been better, but like I said, I was downgraded also for no in text citations, where there were clearly several provided etc.
    Other students read my assignment and said they struggled to find specific examples too, but were still awarded a 2.1 mark.
    Apologies, should have added that part to the original post.

ReputationRep:
    Not at my uni, it got sent to the marking office for the students to pick up themselves.
    Ours were sent online directly to the tutor and handed back in class by the tutor

ReputationRep:
    I could well have just fecked up and need to retake in the summer, which is completely fine if that is the case, just wanted to know some other opinions on it, that's all~

ReputationRep:
    My course work stuff was submitted electronically to a repository. The tutor will know who submitted (but not what) as the repository sends a confirmation email to both student and tutor.

My exam was written in an A4 booklet where I wrote my student number and name on a section of the booklet which had a flap (which I moistened and sealed over my details). This is so the tutor marking my work won't see who it belongs to.

I think my dissertation (when I come to do it) will be sent to the marking office in the same way as yours.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, like I said, I missed lessons, but I studied all of the presentations which were read out in class, and as explained from people who went to every lesson, this is one of those lecturers who reads from the powerpoint, and nothing else, there were never lesson handouts, only reading and studying from the information that I also received.
    But I agree, it could have been better, but like I said, I was downgraded also for no in text citations, where there were clearly several provided etc.
    Other students read my assignment and said they struggled to find specific examples too, but were still awarded a 2.1 mark.
    Apologies, should have added that part to the original post.
    No probs.

Does you uni allow your module tutor to mark your work or does it have to be a different tutor? And how would they know it's your work? Is it not anonymised before marking?

ReputationRep:
    No probs.

Does you uni allow your module tutor to mark your work or does it have to be a different tutor? And how would they know it's your work? Is it not anonymised before marking?
    Yeah it's out tutor, and for one of our other assignments we all thought we had to put our name in the header, as this was one of 3 we had to hand in within a week, I put my name on it, as we didn't know we had the option to put just our student numbers on at the time~

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's out tutor, and for one of our other assignments we all thought we had to put our name in the header, as this was one of 3 we had to hand in within a week, I put my name on it, as we didn't know we had the option to put just our student numbers on at the time~
    just appeal it ffs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.