Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you born intelligent or can it be learned? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

I personally think both, I guess some people have been intelligent since they were a child but I believe that you can become smarter and there are too many people who think that they're just dumb and so they give up before they've even started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I feel like intelligence is an innate skill that can be nurtured through the correct methods. So while someone might be born intelligent, it is no use if no work is put in or it is not cultivated. I don't believe you can learn to be 'intelligent' but you can certainly work hard for results that you desire, it just might be harder work than someone born with intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but intelligence is learned it's not a debate it's fact.

Where the debate is how different people learn due to their biological and social factors

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think its both. Looking back I was such a dumb kid. My social intelligence (if you will) was nil. I had a hard time understanding things that were just common sense to some other people. Afterwhile, you just learn by copying others by watching how they handle situations and how they go about problems and things.

Some people just have a knack for certain things, but intelligence through certain ways of thinking can be learned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    What do you think?

I personally think both, I guess some people have been intelligent since they were a child but I believe that you can become smarter and there are too many people who think that they're just dumb and so they give up before they've even started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your upper limit is restricted biologically - things like your memory are probably beyond your control. The extent to which you choose to fulfil your potential is down to you though.

ReputationRep:
    Inherited. My family have all been intelligent since we were babies and never had to work hard at school. There is definitely a significant element of 'natural intelligence.'

I think hard-workers can increase intelligence by learning how to learn/changing how they process information. But if your hard-working consists of lots of studying then as soon as you stop working hard you are going to stop doing well if you don't have natural intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has been shown that for example reading a lot to your child from a young age makes them more intelligent.

Of course there is a certain biology behind it, but there are things you can do to increase synapses in the brain, and how the brain develops - because that is the point, the brain keeps developing until even age 20 or something like that I don't remember exactly, so yes, you can impact how "smart" your child will be.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think both, in that some people have an inherent ability to learn new things, but also some people will work hard or be more well read, and able to apply that knowledge more widely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is a mixture of both. I think, to some extent, you can inherit intelligence. But then it's up to the person whether or not they put it to use by expanding their mind.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both. I am inherently more intelligent than a cat and people that have played chess since they could hold the pieces have a higher aptitude in the mental abilities chess requires than me.

Unless people consider it just cultural bias, over 20% of Nobel prizes have been won by people of Jewish ancestry, despite only making up 0.2% of the world's population.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It is almost exclusively, but not quite exclusively, learned.

ReputationRep:
    I think intelligence is to be defined first in order to be in a better position to see whether it's inherited. To put in general terms, intelligence is a measure of pure brain power, which contributes to the usual mental faculties of an intelligent individual. In that sense, intelligence can both be inherited and acquired, but if intelligence is understood to be proportionate to intellectual success, there is also an important, and often-neglected, attribute closely connected with intelligence- Character.

As Albert Einstein observed, "Most people say that it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character".

Now we can agree that Einstein was intelligent, but what does he mean by character? Does he mean it in the general or social sense of the word? Surely all geniuses have been highly intelligent, but have intelligent people also been geniuses?

If we look at the personalities of great geniuses of the past, we can see certain characteristics common between them. To name but a few, they were obsessive, visionary, assertive, group-independent, self-confident, and determined. It is these features of their mind that allowed to apply their intellect. Without these, intellect would be prosaic and grossly underused. In fact, you could even see how intellect can be a by-product of embracing those personal qualities.

So to go back to the question again: yes, intellect can both be inherited and learned, but that's beside the point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.