Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have wanted to be a vet, literally, ever since I can remember and at no point in my life have I doubted this. When I think about it now, I still can't see myself in a different place.

I found my GCSEs much more difficult that I would have found them otherwise, due to personal issues which started in year 8 or 9. Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to use this as an excuse for my bad GCSE grades. I know I could have, and should have, done much better, but I just have to accept it now. I got 4 A's (maths, English lit, French and Italian), 5 B's (biology, physics, statistics, English language and business studies) and 3 C's (chemistry, geography and art).
    I chose to do biology, chemistry, maths and sociology for my A-levels, but the C grade at GCSE meant that I had to change chemistry for a different subject - I ended up taking economics, which I now hate.

So, I am again at the point where I question myself: what do I do with my life now?

Postgrad is not an option, as neither me or my parents have the money to fund this. I have looked at all the UK courses, including those with gateway years, multiple times, but I don't have the A-level subjects/GCSE grades for any of them. And, as I said, I can't really see myself doing anything different. The only alternative I have in mind is veterinary physiotherapy and will probably be applying for that if I don't find a way of doing what I want to do most.

I was thinking of taking a gap year to do an extra A-level in chemistry (and get some work experience), but I'm not sure if I want to take a gap year, so the other thing I was thinking was to do the chemistry A-level in year 13 via a distance learning course... I was wondering how these go about practical assessments though? Are there exam boards which don't do practicals and that's what distance learning courses use, or would I still have to do them some way?

The other option is studying abroad at UWM in Olsztyn, Poland, as they require biology and chemistry or maths, and a foreign language. As I originally come from Poland and am fluent in the language, I would study in Polish - my foreign language being English, and hopefully I will do well in biology and maths - I know I'm able if I try hard, and I am very determined to get in.
    But then that would be my only option for vetmed, so in the case I don't get a place, I will be back here again... I'm completely stuck on what I should do - I am desperate for vetmed, but at the same time not rich, so would either need to do a UK undergraduate with a student loan, or abroad where tuition is free (like Poland), or in the worst case, low enough for my parents to be able to maybe take out a loan. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Oops... I didn't expect it to be this long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xetae)
    Basically, I have wanted to be a vet, literally, ever since I can remember and at no point in my life have I doubted this. When I think about it now, I still can't see myself in a different place.

I found my GCSEs much more difficult that I would have found them otherwise, due to personal issues which started in year 8 or 9. Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to use this as an excuse for my bad GCSE grades. I know I could have, and should have, done much better, but I just have to accept it now. I got 4 A's (maths, English lit, French and Italian), 5 B's (biology, physics, statistics, English language and business studies) and 3 C's (chemistry, geography and art).
    I chose to do biology, chemistry, maths and sociology for my A-levels, but the C grade at GCSE meant that I had to change chemistry for a different subject - I ended up taking economics, which I now hate.

So, I am again at the point where I question myself: what do I do with my life now?

Postgrad is not an option, as neither me or my parents have the money to fund this. I have looked at all the UK courses, including those with gateway years, multiple times, but I don't have the A-level subjects/GCSE grades for any of them. And, as I said, I can't really see myself doing anything different. The only alternative I have in mind is veterinary physiotherapy and will probably be applying for that if I don't find a way of doing what I want to do most.

I was thinking of taking a gap year to do an extra A-level in chemistry (and get some work experience), but I'm not sure if I want to take a gap year, so the other thing I was thinking was to do the chemistry A-level in year 13 via a distance learning course... I was wondering how these go about practical assessments though? Are there exam boards which don't do practicals and that's what distance learning courses use, or would I still have to do them some way?

The other option is studying abroad at UWM in Olsztyn, Poland, as they require biology and chemistry or maths, and a foreign language. As I originally come from Poland and am fluent in the language, I would study in Polish - my foreign language being English, and hopefully I will do well in biology and maths - I know I'm able if I try hard, and I am very determined to get in.
    But then that would be my only option for vetmed, so in the case I don't get a place, I will be back here again... I'm completely stuck on what I should do - I am desperate for vetmed, but at the same time not rich, so would either need to do a UK undergraduate with a student loan, or abroad where tuition is free (like Poland), or in the worst case, low enough for my parents to be able to maybe take out a loan. Please help!
    What grades are you getting atm in A-Levels? What year are you in? Don't worry about tution fees because you would be funded by the government if your a British national of course you pay back but after you start earning £20k a year and even then it is such a small amount. I am pretty sure you can become a vet without chemistry....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xetae)

Don't give up on your dream

If you can get into that course in Poland it really does sound ideal - you have the right subjects, know the language AND it's free! However, I guess it's also pretty competitive, so a place isn't guaranteed...

Veterinary Physiotherapy sounds like a possible option - although you'll have to look into the contents of the course and career options to check if it would really suit you.

VetMed is super competitive and while self-studying Chemistry could be an option, your low grades may still let you down anyway - perhaps get in touch with some universities to see if they would consider your application if you were to go down this route. If you decide to self-study Chemistry, ideally you should try and arrange with your school for you to just take the practical assessments and exams there - it would be a lot simpler and cheaper. Is there really no way they will allow you to take Chemistry A level with the other students? If you're really keen and passionate about a career requiring chemistry they may be willing to be flexible...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.