Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are asians cleverer or just harder working? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a question I have struggled with for many years. They clearly outperform other people in exams. And lets be honest, when you went to your oxbridge/medicine interview, you saw this guy:

Name:  andy-wang.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  15.3 KB

and he probably got an offer...

So you have to wonder

are they smarter or just harder working?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and you'd also see the nerdy white guy, the nerdy black guy, the nerdy hispanic guy....

As for Asians being 'more intelligent', their society values education, merit and advancement arguably more than any other. Your race doesn't make you intelligent, your environment and work ethic make you intelligent - Granted there are a lucky few with very healthy genes, but that does not go hand in hand with race.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillIbeFamous)
    This is a question I have struggled with for many years. They clearly outperform other people in exams. And lets be honest, when you went to your oxbridge/medicine interview, you saw this guy:

So you have to wonder

If u work hard surely u get smarter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    If u work hard surely u get smarter?
    I don't think so. I think there is a significant level of innate intelligence that can't be nurtured past a certain point. I think your overall success in life probably depends more on hard work than intelligence, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    As for Asians being 'more intelligent', their society values education, merit and advancement arguably more than any other. Your race doesn't make you intelligent, your environment and work ethic make you intelligent - Granted there are a lucky few with very healthy genes, but that does not go hand in hand with race.
    What about racial differences in IQ?

ReputationRep:
    Half asian master race reporting in.

Can confirm I am cleverer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Half asian master race reporting in.

Can confirm I am cleverer.
    What type of asian are you?

ReputationRep:
    What type of asian are you?
    mums side is chinese + filipino.

On a serious note though, I literally got through GCSE and Alevels slacking off and putting no effort in. I sat in my Alevel physics class bantering with the teacher who was a young girl lmao. (At this point I decided I didn't want to do STEM anymore so I was just getting the minimum I needed for the uni course I chose).

All the nerd girls in Biology Alevel that were studying 24/7 used to get mad at me because I'd walk in late all the time, spend the whole lesson flirting with the only 2 fit girls in the class and get close to max marks on all the practicals, (would just 'guess' all the results tbh because I knew what they were supposed to be).

And ye I got all the grades I wanted while being a huge slacker and spending most of my school years staying up late gaming.

ReputationRep:
    East Asians in the West are smarter than a Western population but as well smarter than East Asians in their natural habitat (it is East Asia, yes).

1. Immigrants are unusually driven, and often unusually smart, and these are the children of immigrants.
    2. The culture of investing everything in the child, who becomes as well the parents' pension plan, is of early benefit here. Deferred gratification is insisted on rather than having to be learnt and you won't see a British Chinese at his Saturday job.
    2. Maintaining two radically different languages, having even different orthographies, is a mind-bender that is as well a muscle builder. Learning the Hanzi/Kanji characters where that is in some obvious sense non-necessary is going to early inculcate a real tolerance for rote study of dry material. The benefit of this is compounded by the East Asian inclination to favour school subjects having objective measures, in part I suspect as a perhaps paranoid proofing against discrimination.
    3. There's an essentialism at play here which to some extent benefits them, though it is in other ways limiting. First day of school? Stick the black lad in the football team and little Charlie Chan in the chess club and lunchtime computing. But if you do enough chess and lunchtime computing then the expectation that you will be good at these becomes self-fulfilling.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe there's just way more of them so statistically you see more of them..??

60% of the world live in Asia
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We're just everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    hapas are beta as phuk
    Pikachu is a third rate pokemon
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

So you have to wonder

East Asian, Interview at Oxford, didn't get an offer :rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    East Asian, Interview at Oxford, didn't get an offer :rofl::rofl:
    Asian here....there are plenty of dumb Asians. Y'all just don't see them because you only see the smart ones.

Also I got rejected from Oxford without interview so yea XD
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by judl1392)
    Asian here....there are plenty of dumb Asians. Y'all just don't see them because you only see the smart ones.

Also I got rejected from Oxford without interview so yea XD
    there are a lot of us here :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    Yeah, and you'd also see the nerdy white guy, the nerdy black guy, the nerdy hispanic guy....

Basically it. It's cultural, the exact same reason that people of Jewish descent tend to be found disproportionately at the upper end of the career ladder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    mums side is chinese + filipino.

On a serious note though, I literally got through GCSE and Alevels slacking off and putting no effort in. I sat in my Alevel physics class bantering with the teacher who was a young girl lmao. (At this point I decided I didn't want to do STEM anymore so I was just getting the minimum I needed for the uni course I chose).

All the nerd girls in Biology Alevel that were studying 24/7 used to get mad at me because I'd walk in late all the time, spend the whole lesson flirting with the only 2 fit girls in the class and get close to max marks on all the practicals, (would just 'guess' all the results tbh because I knew what they were supposed to be).

And ye I got all the grades I wanted while being a huge slacker and spending most of my school years staying up late gaming.
    Girls love him.

Men despise him.

Parents adore him.

All hail chickenmaddness.

(Original post by cambio wechsel)
    East Asians in the West are smarter than a Western population but as well smarter than East Asians in their natural habitat (it is East Asia, yes).

1. Immigrants are unusually driven, and often unusually smart, and these are the children of immigrants.
    2. The culture of investing everything in the child, who becomes as well the parents' pension plan, is of early benefit here. Deferred gratification is insisted on rather than having to be learnt and you won't see a British Chinese at his Saturday job.
    2. Maintaining two radically different languages, having even different orthographies, is a mind-bender that is as well a muscle builder. Learning the Hanzi/Kanji characters where that is in some obvious sense non-necessary is going to early inculcate a real tolerance for rote study of dry material. The benefit of this is compounded by the East Asian inclination to favour school subjects having objective measures, in part I suspect as a perhaps paranoid proofing against discrimination.
    3. There's an essentialism at play here which to some extent benefits them, though it is in other ways limiting. First day of school? Stick the black lad in the football team and little Charlie Chan in the chess club and lunchtime computing. But if you do enough chess and lunchtime computing then the expectation that you will be good at these becomes self-fulfilling.
    Charlie Chan bahahahah xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    Girls love him.

Men despise him.

Parents adore him.

All hail chickenmaddness.

Charlie Chan bahahahah xD
    Teachers don't know if they want to teach him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)

how did you do well without trying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.