The Student Room Group

Are asians cleverer or just harder working?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WillIbeFamous

andy-wang.jpeg

He appears to be in Black Tie in this photo: I think Oxbridge would reject him purely on this basis. Black Tie for an interview... And it's the wrong shirt!
Reply 21
On average, probably both
It all generally boils down to one thing really, Asian or Asian-minded parents :smile:

Many tend to be extremely pushy and won't stop at anything to ensure their kids get the absolute best in terms of education.

We Asian parents generally have ways to get our kids to perform well at school and it isn't optional. Just ask my 4+2 kids :biggrin:

It generally boils down to this, in this world there are over 3 billion Asians, no one gives a toss whether you excel or fail in life therefore if you don't succeed in life then you only have yourself to blame.
Asian here!
Some are hard-working especially the Japanese, while some are cleverer.
It's very hard to disentangle genetic effects from cultural effects when comparing groups. Even where you have immigrants or, for example, ethnic East Asians in the USA, they tend to have a somewhat different culture from the rest of the local population.

It's definitely true that East Asian cultures value education, hard work, maths and science more than others. If I had to bet, I would put a bit of money on there being genetic differences too.
Definitely cleverer on average, that can't be denied. Many are more hard-working too.
Original post by ChickenMadness
mums side is chinese + filipino.

On a serious note though, I literally got through GCSE and Alevels slacking off and putting no effort in. I sat in my Alevel physics class bantering with the teacher who was a young girl lmao. (At this point I decided I didn't want to do STEM anymore so I was just getting the minimum I needed for the uni course I chose).

All the nerd girls in Biology Alevel that were studying 24/7 used to get mad at me because I'd walk in late all the time, spend the whole lesson flirting with the only 2 fit girls in the class and get close to max marks on all the practicals, (would just 'guess' all the results tbh because I knew what they were supposed to be).

And ye I got all the grades I wanted while being a huge slacker and spending most of my school years staying up late gaming.

wow you're so cool man, I wish I was you.
Original post by Percypig17
wow you're so cool man, I wish I was you.

im sure you're pretty cool too. :gangster:

Original post by trustmeimlying1
Girls love him.

Men despise him.

Parents adore him.

All hail chickenmaddness.

Charlie Chan bahahahah xD

lmao
I'd imagine the parents are quite strict, and good universities are incredibly competitive, which makes the children work hard and, as a result, often achieve above-average grades. However, both traits mentioned in the title are very stereotypical, and obviously not all Asians are like this.
Reply 29
Better reared

Ok maybe not 'better' per se but more strictly raised

thats the reason why Asians as a whole are much smarter, its instilled in them. Education and success is a huge thing in that continent so parents spend a lot of time pushing their children to be the best. Tiger parents + strict discipline = success

I mean think about it, if you've got someone scaring you then you'll do everything in your power to make sure you turn out to be the best to avoid punishment

Look at Michael Jackson - father beat the crap out of him, he turned into the most successful and talented singer on the planet
Look at the Marines, the toughest corps in the army - watch their training, you don't ever see any snowflake marines
Theres a reason why bullied children, abused spouses and former prisoners turn out to be stronger than the average person

Its all about being pushed to exceed your limits, Asians are pushed to be the best. Russians too. And Americans are pretty arrogant in that sense. Hence why in every Olympics tables the top three countries are China, Russia and USA

Quick Reply

Latest