Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form college includes sick days in its attendance calculation system, so even if I have an adequate reason for not attending for a certain day, it's still calculated as an absent day. I thought that they would have an authorised/unauthorised absence system, but they don't.

What should I do about this? Because, if I'm too ill, I won't be able to attend, but that lowers my attendance and they could make me pay for the courses I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors note
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    You can't help being sick

ReputationRep:
    What is the actual threshold for requiring you to pay for your course? I am guessing that it is not 'two or three days off over the course of a year'?

If you have a pre-existing health problem (or develop a serious condition during your course) which may cause you to need significant time away from college, this is something that you should make them aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    My sixth form college includes sick days in its attendance calculation system, so even if I have an adequate reason for not attending for a certain day, it's still calculated as an absent day. I thought that they would have an authorised/unauthorised absence system, but they don't.

What should I do about this? Because, if I'm too ill, I won't be able to attend, but that lowers my attendance and they could make me pay for the courses I'm doing.
    My grandson is in college. He is in his second year and has a heart condition. He has had one day off in all the time he has been there and they had the cheek to send me a letter about the importance of attendance. I put them straight on that one. And this from a failing college.
    You should go and see your GP. go and see your GP. get him/her to write to the college outlining any reasons or conditions which may affect your attendance and ensure you keep any correspondence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.