Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite defining moment of history? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

History has its moments, right?

From the declaration of war on Germany on the 4th August 1914 to Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech delivered on the 28th August 1963, there have been many instances that have defined history.

My own personal favourite would have to be the 5th October 1968, Derry, N.Ireland. A N.Irish Civil Rights march organised by the Northern Irish Civil Rights Association (NICRA) ended up in chaos when the RUC were ordered to disperse the march. What makes this so defining to me is that the scenes were caught on camera and broadcasted on television around the world. It was so shocking to see the disturbances, that this march forced the British government to take more active involvement in N.Ireland and the running of it.

More information on the NICRA march can be found here.

So what's your defining moment of history? What really stands out for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)

History has its moments, right?

From the declaration of war on Germany on the 4th August 1914 to Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech delivered on the 28th August 1963, there have been many instances that have defined history.

My own personal favourite would have to be the 5th October 1968, Derry, N.Ireland. A N.Irish Civil Rights march organised by the Northern Irish Civil Rights Association (NICRA) ended up in chaos when the RUC were ordered to disperse the march. What makes this so defining to me is that the scenes were caught on camera and broadcasted on television around the world. It was so shocking to see the disturbances, that this march forced the British government to take more active involvement in N.Ireland and the running of it.

More information on the NICRA march can be found here.

So what's your defining moment of history? What really stands out for you?
    August 1789: the french national constituent assembly passes into law the declaration of the rights of man and the citizen.

Pretty much established the fundamental ideas of liberal democracy that were built on and created the peaceful, idyllic society that we have today.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Most likely, the creation of smartphones starting with the iPhone earlier on in this century. Kind of revolutionalised the cellphone and technology industry as a whole!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    inb4 Brexit and Trump
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    inb4 Brexit and Trump
    Damn it

ReputationRep:
    9/11
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    9/11
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Really?
    A horrific event that gave me inspiration for what i want to do in life, i suppose.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A horrific event that gave me inspiration for what i want to do in life, i suppose.
    And that is...?

ReputationRep:
    And that is...?
    Join the military
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Join the military
    Oh really? Interesting... what are you going to do? I assume you want to be an officer?

ReputationRep:
    9th May

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Interesting... what are you going to do? I assume you want to be an officer?
    I was young back then, so i wanted to fight against injustice/extremism and be a hero!

Obviously my reasons are different now, but i remember it on the news vividly. Yeah, officer in either the army or maybe raf

ReputationRep:
    My birth.

Spoiler:
    Show

The day Jokowi (Joko Widodo) was elected as president. He's a president who connected with Indonesians on a personal level to understand what reforms need to be made. He's made bold steps in forming ties with not only global super-powers, but also small, developing countries. Jokowi is a charismatic leader, and one of the most tolerant leaders we've ever had. He's pushed for equality for Indonesia's transgender community (waria), different religious groups, and minorities belonging to different ethnic backgrounds.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    26 May 1999

A few brave men fought a group of marauding Germans. It looked like the Germans would win, but these men had other plans.

Never before or since has the world beheld such glory, such resplendence.

All they needed to triumph was The Baby-faced Assassin and a man named after a toy.

:moon:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was young back then, so i wanted to fight against injustice/extremism and be a hero!

Obviously my reasons are different now, but i remember it on the news vividly. Yeah, officer in either the army or maybe raf
    Have you ever thought about joining the SF (as an officer)?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought about joining the SF (as an officer)?
    Special forces? You can't apply directly they recruit from within.

You can apply for reservist position though. But no, one step at a time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Special forces? You can't apply directly they recruit from within.

You can apply for reservist position though. But no, one step at a time
    I am aware. I was just wondering if that's something that appeals to you, and it looks like it does
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    hmmm Do enjoy a bit of the French revolution :beard:
    But also the Romans...
    Then there's the age of Mendeleev/Newton and ok :rofl:
    Ok I can't pick

ReputationRep:
    28 October, 312 AD

The Battle of Milvian Bridge. The beginning of Constantine's conversion to Christianity, which would provide the societal basis for the entire Western World.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.