Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite defining moment of history? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think my stand-out moment has to be Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white person, and how that effectively galvanised the whole civil rights movement in the US (or at least that's the impression I got from my GCSE history lessons ) :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd;697284 74)
    I think my stand-out moment has to be Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white person, and how that effectively galvanised the whole civil rights movement in the US (or at least that's the impression I got from my GCSE history lessons ) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The greatest scientific achievement of all time IMO:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel_Coder)

What about that time we landed a probe on a comet?
    Spoiler:
    Show

That was awesome
    Spoiler:
    Show

Although the industrial revolution isn't my favorite time in history, it was probably the most important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel_Coder)

Except it was faked and recorded in Arizona; how can a flag flutter when there is no wind?

Armstrong and Aldrin were bribed into lying by the CIA to one up the Russians in the space race and gain a sense of superiority in the Cold War.

ReputationRep:
    Martin Luther King speech

ReputationRep:
    Passage of the Emancipation Act in 1829, due to efforts of Daniel O'Connell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...elief_Act_1829

ReputationRep:
    The Battle of Britain, summer, 1940.

As a former member of the RAF I'm definitely not biased. Nope. Not at all :ninja:

(Original post by Connor27)
    Except it was faked and recorded in Arizona; how can a flag flutter when there is no wind?

Armstrong and Aldrin were bribed into lying by the CIA to one up the Russians in the space race and gain a sense of superiority in the Cold War.
    Oh be quiet.

ReputationRep:

That's one hell of a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    As a history nerd I honestly have no idea. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand? The victory for the Romans in Punic wars? The consolation of Christianity by Constantine in the fourth century? The founding of the German Empire in 1871? The fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1918?

ReputationRep:
    Woman's suffrage moment. Biggest step in equality for HALF THE F*CKING WORLD. (i'm a feminist, in case you were wodering)

ReputationRep:
    May 14, 1948
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
    As a history nerd I honestly have no idea. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand? The victory for the Romans in Punic wars? The consolation of Christianity by Constantine in the fourth century? The founding of the German Empire in 1871? The fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1918?
    It's rather hard to choose :yep: But that is what I love about history.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Seriously? :facepalm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Rosa Parks. :yep: Such an icon.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Passage of the Emancipation Act in 1829, due to efforts of Daniel O'Connell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...elief_Act_1829
    DoC :love: (as we would call him at school).

Catholic Emancipation was mentioned in my Irish politics lecture on Friday past (we were looking at the background to the Troubles, so a lot of history) and I had A Level History flashbacks. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    It's rather hard to choose :yep: But that is what I love about history.
    If Rome had been beaten, would you and I right now be speaking of Southern Civilization rather than Western? Would Carthage have been the power driving the last two millennium? I wonder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eviebrizzle)
    Woman's suffrage moment. Biggest step in equality for HALF THE F*CKING WORLD. (i'm a feminist, in case you were wodering)
    A certainly honourable cause that I respect, but to say half the world wouldn't necessarily be true; women in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran and places like that haven't benefitted from the feminist movement yet, Iran in particular being a patriarchal theocracy.

I do admire the feminist movement though and would describe myself as a liberal feminist (to disassociate myself with the radical and cultural feminists that can be quite odious at times.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
    If Rome had been beaten, would you and I right now be speaking of Southern Civilization rather than Western? Would Carthage have been the power driving the last two millennium? I wonder.
    Speculative history is brilliant. I'm planning to do a thread on it tomorrow actually!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    28 September 1928
    When flemming discovered penicillin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    28 September 1928
    When flemming discovered penicillin
    Definitely helped with that nasty erec... Oh what did my doctor say about oversharing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.