Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite defining moment of history? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Eh, fair enough, was an absolute bizarre claim though...
    Bizarre or not, I rule History with an iron fist :fuhrer:

Hitler seems most appropriate out of all the emoticons.

Bolded the wrong thing
      meant this

Iran and places like that haven't benefitted from the feminist movement yet
      By 1999, Iran had 140 female publishers, enough to hold an exhibition of books and magazines published by women.
      As of 2005, 65 percent of Iran's university students and 43 percent of its salaried workers were women.
      As of early 2007, nearly 70 percent of Iran's science and engineering students are women.
      27.1% female ministers in government put Iran among first 23 countries in early 2000s,
      2.8-4.9% female parliamentarians in past 15 years put it among least 25 countries.
      In 2009 Fatemeh Bodaghi became Vice President for Legal Affairs and a top advisor to President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.
      Maryam Mojtahidzadeh who runs the women's ministry was also selected as an advisor to the president.

At least one observer (Robert D. Kaplan) has commented on the less traditional attitude of many women in Iran compared to other Middle Eastern countries. "In Iran, you could point a camera at a woman... and she would smile" in contrast to other more conservative places where women may mind this.
      According to UNESCO data from 2012, Iran has more female students in engineering fields than any other country in the world.
      There are also women in the Iranian police who deal with crimes committed by women and children. According to opinion of Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, giving opportunity for develop woman's talents in the family and society is respecting to the woman.

I think, despite the fact that Iranian women are forced to cover their hair (and even then, hardly any women in the streets of Tehran look particularly Islamic) there is nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Airmed)
      Bizarre or not, I rule History with an iron fist :fuhrer:

Hitler seems most appropriate out of all the emoticons.
      Yeah I understand the reason why, it's just post-truthism is so cliché; the fact he was defending bloody Iran of all places as well; possibly one of the most despicable regimes on the planet.

ReputationRep:

Yeah I understand the reason why, it's just post-truthism is so cliché; the fact he was defending bloody Iran of all places as well; possibly one of the most despicable regimes on the planet.
        If u bother to look at my post history, u would realise I am extremely defensive of Iran, I have been to Tehran multiple times, visited, Qom, Mashad and Tabriz. Possibly one of the most beautiful countries on the planet

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
        Fantastic. The Horrible Histories i've seen are wonderful programmes.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by markova21)
        They are fab, truly :borat:
        • TSR Support Team
        • Peer Support Volunteers
        • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by markova21)
        Horrible Histories is just amazing.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by homeland.lsw)
        If u bother to look at my post history, u would realise I am extremely defensive of Iran, I have been to Tehran multiple times, visited, Qom, Mashad and Tabriz. Possibly one of the most beautiful countries on the planet
        Yeaaah, not to mention the homosexuals being stoned to death, Iran has an absolute history of misogyny following the Islamic revolution:

For example, Iran’s Cultural Revolution purged academia of all Western and non-Islamic material. Between 1980 and 1983, virtually all universities were shut down in order to secure and expel all undesirable books, professors, and students (Rezai-Rashti 423). Likewise, this period saw a step back in women’s rights. Laws like the Family Protection Act of 1967, which allowed women to initiate divorce, increased the minimum marriage age to 18, and limited the amount of wives that men could marry, was nullified and replaced by patriarchal laws (Rezai-Rashti 423). In education, quotas were put into place to ensure women did not outnumber men in certain fields of study.

Although I'll admit this did become better after Ayatollah Khomeini's death in the 1990s, it has since deteriorated again and has started to revert to post-revolutionary standards;

The particular period worth noting is 2005 and onward. The election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad indicated that the Iranian government would yet again focus on limiting the rights of women in order to return to stronger fundamental Islamic values. According to a report by CBS News, Ahmadinejad continued to “push for a purge of liberal and secular teachers from universities”. From taking office, Ahmadinejad took strides to replace pragmatic government officials from previous administrations with religious hard-liners. He called for the forced retirement of dozens of liberal professors. Ahmadinejad’s Science Minister, Kamran Daneshjoo (who likewise directs all state-operated universities) even pushed for policy mandating gender segregation in schools and a reinstitution of quotas. Throughout his term, the goal of Ahmadinejad was clear: to bring Iran—and its women—back to the post-revolutionary era.
        • Aston Villa FC Supporter
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        Russian Revolution in 1917. It changed the course of history completely.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
        If Rome had been beaten, would you and I right now be speaking of Southern Civilization rather than Western? Would Carthage have been the power driving the last two millennium? I wonder.
        No, Carthage didn't have the same conception of citizenship as the Romans, which allowed them to integrate the peoples they had conquered quite easily.

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
        The battle of Waterloo. But it is so hard to choose, I love the Napoleonic era and colonialism and the industrial revolution it is all so fascinating
        When at the top of the hill, Napoleon realised that the army arriving on his right was not the one led by Grouchy, but Blucher's Prussian army.

Victor Hugo wrote this:
        "The twilight was falling;
        The fight was keen, and dark. He had the offensive,
        Almost the victory ; he had Wellington
        Pinned back deep in the woods. Field glass in hand,
        He watched the center now and then - the dark point
        Where the conflict was wavering, a grim living
        Thicket - and sometimes the sea-dark horizon.
        Suddenly he cried out in joy : "Grouchy !"
        But it was Blücher. Hope changed sides, the battle
        Changed souls, the howling fray swelled like a fire..
        The English barrage crushed our rows".

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Josb)
        No, Carthage didn't have the same conception of citizenship as the Romans, which allowed them to integrate the peoples they had conquered quite easily.

When at the top of the hill, Napoleon realised that the army arriving on his right was not the one led by Grouchy, but Blucher's Prussian army.

Victor Hugo wrote this:
        "The twilight was falling;
        The fight was keen, and dark. He had the offensive,
        Almost the victory ; he had Wellington
        Pinned back deep in the woods. Field glass in hand,
        He watched the center now and then - the dark point
        Where the conflict was wavering, a grim living
        Thicket - and sometimes the sea-dark horizon.
        Suddenly he cried out in joy : "Grouchy !"
        But it was Blücher. Hope changed sides, the battle
        Changed souls, the howling fray swelled like a fire..
        The English barrage crushed our rows".
        Made more amazing by Bluchers stubborn courage and ruthlessness (I think I remember reading he wasn't even fit to be leading at the time).

What do you mean about Roman citizenship? Romans assimilated conqueror-ed people quite well, sure they weren't Roman citizens and didn't enjoy the same rights, but why does it matter?
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        Yeaaah, not to mention the homosexuals being stoned to death, Iran has an absolute history of misogyny following the Islamic revolution:

For example, Iran’s Cultural Revolution purged academia of all Western and non-Islamic material. Between 1980 and 1983, virtually all universities were shut down in order to secure and expel all undesirable books, professors, and students (Rezai-Rashti 423). Likewise, this period saw a step back in women’s rights. Laws like the Family Protection Act of 1967, which allowed women to initiate divorce, increased the minimum marriage age to 18, and limited the amount of wives that men could marry, was nullified and replaced by patriarchal laws (Rezai-Rashti 423). In education, quotas were put into place to ensure women did not outnumber men in certain fields of study.

Although I'll admit this did become better after Ayatollah Khomeini's death in the 1990s, it has since deteriorated again and has started to revert to post-revolutionary standards;

The particular period worth noting is 2005 and onward. The election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad indicated that the Iranian government would yet again focus on limiting the rights of women in order to return to stronger fundamental Islamic values. According to a report by CBS News, Ahmadinejad continued to “push for a purge of liberal and secular teachers from universities”. From taking office, Ahmadinejad took strides to replace pragmatic government officials from previous administrations with religious hard-liners. He called for the forced retirement of dozens of liberal professors. Ahmadinejad’s Science Minister, Kamran Daneshjoo (who likewise directs all state-operated universities) even pushed for policy mandating gender segregation in schools and a reinstitution of quotas. Throughout his term, the goal of Ahmadinejad was clear: to bring Iran—and its women—back to the post-revolutionary era.
        You are a leech that feeds off western propaganda that the media circulates. Women in Iran are thriving and there is no 'absolute history of misogyny'. You know nothing about how people live in Iran.

ReputationRep:
        When Hogan leg-dropped Savage and turned heel, forming the nWo with Hall and Nash, on 7th July 1996.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
        What do you mean about Roman citizenship? Romans assimilated conqueror-ed people quite well, sure they weren't Roman citizens and didn't enjoy the same rights, but why does it matter?
        The Romans did not base their citizenship on ethnic grounds, thus non-Roman people could become Roman, as long as they were culturally assimilated. Occupied people therefore had a strong incentive to behave and follow Roman rule.

I wouldn't say I have a single defining moment I can put a date on, but the Enlightenment easily takes the cake for favourite movement/time period/era. I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned.

The day I was born is a close second.
          • Political Ambassador
          • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
          I would have to say Armstrong taking the first step on the moon.Thats the first time any form of life in 4 billion years of history had set foot upon another celestial body.Its like when sea creatures first walked on land in its significance.Other than that maybe when we sent the voyagers out into space.First man made object to travel into interstellar space. Or maybe when the first nuclear bombs were used in war.Not my favourite moment but definitely highly significant.

ReputationRep:
          1945 - cold war begins
          1975 - the EU begins
          1989 - cold war ends
          2001 - west vs islamic terror begins; common sense also begins to die
          2016 - the EU begins to end; a new renaissance for anglo common sense

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Airmed)
          Pfft, I know, but still.
          you're hilarious

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.