Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite defining moment of history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Rosa Parks. :yep: Such an icon.

DoC :love: (as we would call him at school).

Catholic Emancipation was mentioned in my Irish politics lecture on Friday past (we were looking at the background to the Troubles, so a lot of history) and I had A Level History flashbacks. :laugh:
    Yup,great man and a well-deserved former profile pic.

A lot of greats spring up from Irish history, John Hume, Henry Grattan, Devlin, Connolly, Parnell, Collins, Countess Markiewicz, Farrell, Currie etc.

My gripe is with how Terrance O'Neill is so poorly remembered in NI when he was the first Unionist leader to consider Catholics as equals.

Might look at the War of the Roses next time I browse through history.

We were lucky in doing Soviet history in school as opposed to English history, I'm grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  141.2 KB

(Original post by TelAviv)
      X
      How pleased are you that the embassy is being moved to Jerusalem?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hezzlington)
      I was young back then, so i wanted to fight against injustice/extremism and be a hero!

Obviously my reasons are different now, but i remember it on the news vividly. Yeah, officer in either the army or maybe raf
      But in reality you're just fighting to make politicians and their friends rich.

ReputationRep:
      Battle of Stalingrad, which was the turning point in world war 2 and the beginning of the end for the Nazis. All the sniper war stories are pretty badass.

Also my Grandad was in Russia somewhere deserting from the nazi army around that time period.

Battle of Stalingrad is always pretty cool to play in video games as well.

ReputationRep:
      • TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
      you're hilarious
      :laugh:

Naw.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
      The Battle of Hastings or that advert: "0800 double 0 1066".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChickenMadness)
      But in reality you're just fighting to make politicians and their friends rich.
      How so

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      How pleased are you that the embassy is being moved to Jerusalem?
      Very pleased! I am confident Trump will follow through with his promise and hope other countries will make the move too.

Next on Trump's list: IRAN!

ReputationRep:
      Very pleased! I am confident Trump will follow through with his promise and hope other countries will make the move too.

Iran has no intention of acquiring nuclear weapons and Israel's military might makes a conventional invasion by Iran a total non-starter so the only threat Iran poses is it's support of foreign terrorist groups. I find it very foolish given the array of threats to Israel's existence, that Iran is the one which is focused on by the traditional American and Israeli right given the likely future direction of the country, anti-Iranism is a meme. You don't even need to justify seeing them as a problem it would seem, apparently it's a self-evident fact.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hezzlington)
      How so
      Because in this time period you're only being sent to places where that will result in a benefit for our greedy politicians.

The last time joining the army meant fighting for freedom was during world war 2.

You'd be better off travelling to the middle east on your own to fight with the kurds (people have been doing that already).

ReputationRep:
      Brexit and Trump, of course. Those two decisions rightfully snatched the Western world from the greedy liberal elite and handed it over to the white working class.

This is what a true political revolution looks like, lefties.

ReputationRep:
      Franz Ferdinand and his wife take the wrong turn in Serbia and it just so happens that one of a few assassins are there, so they're both shot dead, eventually triggering WW1.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      In terms of uniqueness, being a single specific moment in time, and being positive, it would have to be Neil Armstrong's first step on the Moon live on TV back on Earth.
      He said history, not fiction!

ReputationRep:
      How can we help him? Would he like a nice rug? A cat, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
      This thread just reminded me of a game that was announced a couple years ago that, from what I gather from the details, wishes to document mankind's journey. The trailer itself mentions some moments that have changed the course of history, some have already been mentioned in this thread.

ReputationRep:
      It isn't well known, but Noah had a major domestic and logistical problem aboard the ark: he had to get rid of all the excrement. The family debated the problem for days, but the matter became more and more urgent (and pungent), so they swept it overboard, where it formed an enormous pile of ordure, despite the water level, so they moved elsewhere, and the whole thing was forgotten about.

It was forgotten about for a very long time but, would you believe it, Columbus came across it in 1492.

And that is my big historic moment - the (re-)discovery of America.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Palmyra)
      How can we help him? Would he like a nice rug? A cat, perhaps?
      Time to cross Iran and Unesco off the list!

Who will be next?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.