Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to University this September and I've been offered a place to my favourite uni, Northumbria, but I'm worried I won't be able to afford to live there (Newcastle) while I'm studying.

I'm doing film production, so I'll be needing a good laptop to work from, which I'll have to buy before I get there and I don't know if I can live off my student finance loan, as the government website says I'm entitled to £6,009 and my halls look like they're going to cost over £5,000 and I don't believe I can live off less than £1,000 for food in a whole year.

I understand that most people get a job while they're studying, but I simply cannot do this. The only job I ever had lasted two weeks because it made me so stressed and that was before I had loads of hand-ins all the time. There's no way I can work while doing a degree AND to make things worse, the only way I can get a bursary from my university is if my family's annual income is under £16K a year, which it isn't, however they aren't really capable of giving me anything.

I'm getting worked up over this and it would be great if anyone else out there is having the same trouble as me or has a solution.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Is there any way I can claim benefits while at university? A friend of a friend is claiming while at university, but that's because she has autism which is recognised as a disability, so she is allowed to claim while studying.

I don't have autism, but I am seeing a doctor to have CBT for serious anxiety. I've checked the definition of disability on the gov. website and it doesn't say anything about anxiety or panic attacks, but it does link to the Mind website and that does mention it, but doesn't say whether it can be considered a disability.

My instinct would be that the government wouldn't allow me to claim because you have to be pretty bad for them to not expect you to work.

Anyone got any experience?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that lots of students feel that they can't get a job because it'll be too stressful and impact on their studies too much, but that's the reality of the situation - until money starts growing on trees we all have to do stuff we don't particularly want to to make ends meet. Unless your parents are willing to fund your shortfall, if you're not prepared to earn money from part-time employment there are no other options available to you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVaddict)
    Edit: Is there any way I can claim benefits while at university? A friend of a friend is claiming while at university, but that's because she has autism which is recognised as a disability, so she is allowed to claim while studying.

I don't have autism, but I am seeing a doctor to have CBT for serious anxiety. I've checked the definition of disability on the gov. website and it doesn't say anything about anxiety or panic attacks, but it does link to the Mind website and that does mention it, but doesn't say whether it can be considered a disability.

My instinct would be that the government wouldn't allow me to claim because you have to be pretty bad for them to not expect you to work.

You'd have to be on personal independence payment (pip) to get any benefits at uni. Just having a disability won't be enough.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I understand that most people get a job while they're studying, but I simply cannot do this. The only job I ever had lasted two weeks because it made me so stressed and that was before I had loads of hand-ins all the time. There's no way I can work while doing a degree
    You need to learn how to work! What are you expecting to do after Uni? Why are you getting a degree? it will never be easier to learn how to work than when you are at Uni with at least some buffer behind you. Get your mental health sorted and get a job. That's how life at uni works.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to University this September and I've been offered a place to my favourite uni, Northumbria, but I'm worried I won't be able to afford to live there (Newcastle) while I'm studying.

I'm doing film production, so I'll be needing a good laptop to work from, which I'll have to buy before I get there and I don't know if I can live off my student finance loan, as the government website says I'm entitled to £6,009 and my halls look like they're going to cost over £5,000 and I don't believe I can live off less than £1,000 for food in a whole year.

I understand that most people get a job while they're studying, but I simply cannot do this. The only job I ever had lasted two weeks because it made me so stressed and that was before I had loads of hand-ins all the time. There's no way I can work while doing a degree AND to make things worse, the only way I can get a bursary from my university is if my family's annual income is under £16K a year, which it isn't, however they aren't really capable of giving me anything.

I'm getting worked up over this and it would be great if anyone else out there is having the same trouble as me or has a solution.
    Basically what everyone else has said. If you don't want to work then you have to find cheaper accommodation like private housing

ReputationRep:
    Really not sure where over £5000 has come from? I had a quick look on their website. If you went for the Lovaine flats the whole thing would be £3160.. leaving you just under 3 grand for food
    You're going to have to work if your parents won't help you. It's quite common for students to do so.. I get the minimum loan which doesn't even cover my rent and have to work the excess..

ReputationRep:

The benefits system isn't there to fund you because you don't want to work to make up your shortfall. It's for people in genuine need.

ReputationRep:

just steal a laptop bro haha easy
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

As others have said, check your budgets carefully.

And do some part-time work - maybe even in film production. But just working in the SU bar will help towards any shortfall, and helps build up your future CV.

Northumbria conveniently has a website for you:
    https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...ile-you-learn/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all the helpful responses. I will check out some private accommodation to see if I can spend less on housing.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to live in halls, renting close to the university could be an option.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all the helpful responses. I will check out some private accommodation to see if I can spend less on housing.
    Double and triple-check any private accomodation contract BEFORE you sign it. For example, it may have a longer duration than university accomodation (e.g. 52 weeks including the summer when you don't need it).

And don't sign anything that financially commits you until you have a confirmed place and are sure you will be taking it up.

And you still need to follow-up on the part-time job front...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.