Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    the project I'm looking into is to systematically investigate how different occupations (i.e., doctor vs. nurse vs. receptionist) are perceived in terms of their competence and warmth based on gender, appearance-ethnicity (White, Black, east Asian, Indian), accent (different UK regional accents as well as the main foreign accents present in UK), and whether they are British or not. The Idea of project is in combining all of these aspects (labels, appearances, accents, and stereotypes) together in a unique way. For example, hearing a male doctor speaking with a Lancashire accent can be perceived differently if they were previously introduced as non British (i.e., as stereotype-incongruent), and this might further be altered if their appearance indicates different ethnicity (e.g., Indian appearance). Are children likely to perceive this doctor as equally competent and trustworthy as a female white British doctor with a Lancashire accent?

Based on this I am Looking to investigate how preschool children evaluate unknown individuals based on complex combinations of categories, including gender, occupation, appearance, ethnicity, accent, and nationality. It's to give a better understanding of how the processes develop over time as well as how they might be influenced by a social context (multicultural or not). Additionally, the help of eye tracking measures can test which of these different combinations are perceived as stereotype-consistent or inconsistent (i.e., expected or unexpected, respectively).

I have so many ideas on how to do this but none that seem solid enough to put forward!!! Welcome any ideas x

ReputationRep:
    Have you found a supervisor yet who might be interested in this project? Will you be applying for a funded studentship, or be a self-funder?

Just a few relevant questions.

ReputationRep:
    Think the issue is that youre casting the net too wide. Do a quick lit review on current research and identify within your areas of interest what needs doing next. You need a very specific research question to help you narrow down how to measure what you want to measure and to help you know that youre measuring what you think you are. Also what is the purpose or application of this research? Are you looking at how children measure friendliness? are you hoping it will have applications towards educating children on different stereotypes/removing stereotypes? Is this not already done through policy and media aimed at children?

children take their lead from adults, they inherently have to trust them so i think it would be worth knowing the attitudes around them. Also the age of the child is pretty important

Many questions and hence why narrowing down your area will really help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.