Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sainsbury's to promote a vegetarian diet based on Oxford Uni scientist recomendations Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well then I'm not gonna shop at Sainsbury's anymore. I can get diet-shaming from my vegan friends. I don't want it from my supermarket.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    What are your thoughts? Do you care? If not then why not (ignorant bravado)?
    I think this is a great move by Sainsbury's! Not only are there some health risks associate with an over consumption of meat, but there are plenty of health benefits to a diet of more fruit and veg. Not to mention the environmental impact this might have if meat production began to lower.

Since going to uni I have pretty much been vegetarian, apart from the odd occasion of treating myself to a chicken burger or something similar, and I try to reduce the amount of dairy I eat. Its cheaper to live on, and I just feel better compared to when I go home and have to eat the more normal meat-heavier diet my family enjoy.

So long as this plan makes a point of a slow transition into new dietary habits, and small, easy changes that people can adopt, I don't see how this could be a problem. Although I would also love to see healthier, fresh food to become cheaper compared to cheap processed foods, so that its easier for people on lower incomes to enjoy a healthier diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I don't really understand the project. How does Sainsbury's profit?

If it's just an attempt to show themselves to be 'responsible' I for one am really not endeared to a seller which wants to 'encourage' me to live one lifestyle rather than another, and would rather take my business somewhere where they will just shut up and take my money in exchange for the stuff I want.
    As if Sainsbury's (and all other shops) don't already use store layout, promotions, etc. to encourage you to buy certain things. Don't be naive.

ReputationRep:
    did you say Oxford scientist ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db10)
    As if Sainsbury's (and all other shops) don't already use store layout, promotions, etc. to encourage you to buy certain things. Don't be naive.
    Obviously they do, but it is one thing to try to nudge me into buying products which yield them higher margins and another to try to nanny me into having what they see as a healthy lifestyle. The former is their business; the latter is mine.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Obviously they do, but it is one thing to try to nudge me into buying products which yield them higher margins and another to try to nanny me into having what they see as a healthy lifestyle. The former is their business; the latter is mine.
    Do you accept that you have already been conditioned by your parents, peers and most of all mass advertising throughout your life? The comments in this thread prove that people will go to great lengths to ignore facts because it doesn't suit their ideology.

So what if Sainsbury's are trying to sway you into a healthier lifestyle? Every single day of your life brands, advertisers, friends, family and acquaintances are trying to influence your way of thinking and we have no problem with it. Try and sell me a carcinogenic bacon sandwich and no one bats an eyelid - but try and influence me into living a healthier more sustainable lifestyle and people flip their lid.

What a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Do you accept that you have already been conditioned by your parents, peers and most of all mass advertising throughout your life? The comments in this thread prove that people will go to great lengths to ignore facts because it doesn't suit their ideology.

So what if Sainsbury's are trying to sway you into a healthier lifestyle? Every single day of your life brands, advertisers, friends, family and acquaintances are trying to influence your way of thinking and we have no problem with it. Try and sell me a carcinogenic bacon sandwich and no one bats an eyelid - but try and influence me into living a healthier more sustainable lifestyle and people flip their lid.

What a shame.
    ^ what an ironic statement, when you yourself have ignored all evidense because it didn't fit with your ideology. You sure did get knocked off your high horse prety quickly there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Idk about you but I love the brand new Sainsbury's #fooddancing advert... so if that's their idea of pushing for healthier eating + more vegetarian-focused stuff... then I really don't mind at all. Lighten up, people. You can still have your bacon and eat it, nobody is denying you that - not even their marketing (see: the chicken etc. in the advert, which was literally released a few days ago)! They're just expanding their marketing and focusing more on a certain area.

Their slogan is literally: "Live well for less". It has been that for ages, that's their current corporate focus. Chilllll outtttt.

Companies target you with advertising every single day, we're exposed in some way or other to advertising... Sainsbury's is doing something to promote a healthier lifestyle, so what? Good for them. Srsly tho this advert is great.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but motive matters. I don't mind a company trying to get me to give them more money, but I won't have them telling me how to live my life 'for my own good'. Not even if they're right.

And, as I said, if this is part of a project to improve their public image and thereby make more money, it does not improve their image with me for the reason above.

ReputationRep:
    ... thread prove that people will go to great lengths to ignore facts because it doesn't suit their ideology.
    That's a bit ironic, given your opening post!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    That's a bit ironic, given your opening post!
    How?

ReputationRep:
    How?
    Your post to open the thread:

... accepting that the consumption of meat is bad for our health

A claim which has no basis in science, and for which you cannot provide any evidence. Followed by:

The comments in this thread prove that people will go to great lengths to ignore facts because it doesn't suit their ideology.
    Can you see the logical inconsistency here?

ReputationRep:
    There has been lots of scientific evidence but people just seem to shove their finders in their ears while shouting "bacon tho!!!" to get away from the points raised.
    You should watch the documentary 'Forks Over Knives' which shows the journey of people with serious health issues (heart disease, diabetes, some cancers) switching to a vegan diet and their conditions either lesson or go completely.
    There have been many studies including the China Study and the study by the World Health Organisation that have proved/concluded that consuming animal products regularly give people cancer and/or heart disease.

I think what Sainsbury's are going to do will be amazing and hopefully will cut down on meat consumption. Less meat = better health and who doesn't want better health just for the taste of something?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Your post to open the thread:

A claim which has no basis in science, and for which you cannot provide any evidence. Followed by:

Can you see the logical inconsistency here?
    There are many studies proving the benefits of a plant based diet over a diet containing animal products. Too many to list. For some reason you have written off the WHO study, but I could literally sit here all day presenting you with studies proving the benefit of a plant based diet over a diet containing animal products.

It is well documented. Unfortunately people are unable to relinquish their vices, and would prefer to hold on to the notion that the growing level of scientific study against their vice is incorrect or inconclusive.

This is a good website, which summarises a number of recent studies: http://www.plantbasedresearch.org/

Also this is well worth your time: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Hopefully you can use these studies, and similar studies to make more informed, healthier and more sustainable choices in the future. Good luck to you sir.

ReputationRep:
    There are many studies proving the benefits of a plant based diet over a diet containing animal products. Too many to list. For some reason you have written off the WHO study, but I could literally sit here all day presenting you with studies proving the benefit of a plant based diet over a diet containing animal products.

It is well documented. Unfortunately people are unable to relinquish their vices, and would prefer to hold on to the notion that the growing level of scientific study against their vice is incorrect or inconclusive.

This is a good website, which summarises a number of recent studies: http://www.plantbasedresearch.org/

Also this is well worth your time: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Hopefully you can use these studies, and similar studies to make more informed, healthier and more sustainable choices in the future. Good luck to you sir.
    But I didn't 'write off' the WHO study, did I? I actually pointed out that you were using it in a way that wasn't valid, and posted a link to it to explain how (whereas you just used the acronym "WHO" to lend a veneer of credence to your claim). Thank you for the other articles but they do not lend any authority to the claim 'eating meat is bad for your health'. Most studies of meat eating by human beings tends to focus on excess consumption or consumption of processed meat (for which there is credible evidence that it is deleterious to health), not the eating of meat per se. Meat is a nutritious foodstuff, and it is plain wrong to claim that the consumption of it is necessarily 'bad for your health' Still, I understand you have an agenda you wish to push and I think we've both reached a conclusion.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    But I didn't 'write off' the WHO study, did I? I actually pointed out that you were using it in a way that wasn't valid, and posted a link to it to explain how (whereas you just used the acronym "WHO" to lend a veneer of credence to your claim). Thank you for the other articles but they do not lend any authority to the claim 'eating meat is bad for your health'. Most studies of meat eating by human beings tends to focus on excess consumption or consumption of processed meat (for which there is credible evidence that it is deleterious to health), not the eating of meat per se. Meat is a nutritious foodstuff, and it is plain wrong to claim that the consumption of it is necessarily 'bad for your health' Still, I understand you have an agenda you wish to push and I think we've both reached a conclusion.
    You are interpreting the data to fit your own agenda, and disguising that by accusing me of the exact same thing you are doing,

You disregard every study that is put in front of you. I have presented you with many studies showing the benefits of a plant based diet over a conventional meat eaters diet.

If you're so sure that you're right, how about presenting some credible research that a meat eating diet is more beneficial than a plant based diet. You currently have no evidence to back up your challenge of my scientifically backed statements.

Your are not presenting a credible argument sir.

ReputationRep:
    You are interpreting the data to fit your own agenda, and disguising that by accusing me of the exact same thing you are doing,

You disregard every study that is put in front of you. I have presented you with many studies showing the benefits of a plant based diet over a conventional meat eaters diet.

If you're so sure that you're right, how about presenting some credible research that a meat eating diet is more beneficial than a plant based diet. You currently have no evidence to back up your challenge of my scientifically backed statements.

Your are not presenting a credible argument sir.
    What data have I interpreted? Where in my posts is this data to be found?

This is simple. You made a claim that 'the consumption of meat is bad for your health'. You used the WHO as 'evidence' for this claim. I then showed that you were using the WHO's research wrongly - no-where has the WHO said that meat consumption is bad for your health. I posted a link to the page, just so you (and anyone else) could see what the WHO actually says about meat consumption, rather than what you claim they say. Here it is again:

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

You have then gone on some way to row back from your initial, unverifiable claim whilst simultaneously attempting to pursue the same line. I am right, beyond doubt, that no-where in the literature is to be found a credible scientific argument to support your blanket and simplistic assertion that 'eating meat is bad for your health'. Period.

You ask me to present evidence to back up my claim that "meat eating diet is more beneficial than a plant based diet.". The only problem is that I never actually made this claim...it's your invention.

I'm afraid it is you who is making an incredible argument. And the facts are laid out in this thread for people to decide.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, nothing wrong with having a variety of options on our shelves
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    What data have I interpreted? Where in my posts is this data to be found?

This is simple. You made a claim that 'the consumption of meat is bad for your health'. You used the WHO as 'evidence' for this claim. I then showed that you were using the WHO's research wrongly - no-where has the WHO said that meat consumption is bad for your health. I posted a link to the page, just so you (and anyone else) could see what the WHO actually says about meat consumption, rather than what you claim they say. Here it is again:

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

You have then gone on some way to row back from your initial, unverifiable claim whilst simultaneously attempting to pursue the same line. I am right, beyond doubt, that no-where in the literature is to be found a credible scientific argument to support your blanket and simplistic assertion that 'eating meat is bad for your health'. Period.

You ask me to present evidence to back up my claim that "meat eating diet is more beneficial than a plant based diet.". The only problem is that I never actually made this claim...it's your invention.

I'm afraid it is you who is making an incredible argument. And the facts are laid out in this thread for people to decide.
    So in summary, you have nothing. Thank you for your input sir.

ReputationRep:
    So in summary, you have nothing. Thank you for your input sir.
    Not making a claim is vastly preferable to making a false one. Particularly when you attempt to use sources to back these false claims up in a unjustifiable way. I'm not particularly bothered about whether or not you should be eating meat - I am bothered about someone with an agenda presenting an opinion as scientific fact.

The phrase is 'post truth'. And we need to point it out whenever we find it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.