Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sainsbury's to promote a vegetarian diet based on Oxford Uni scientist recomendations Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiew06)
    T China Study and the study by the World Health Organisation that have proved/concluded that consuming animal products regularly give people cancer and/or heart disease.
    Again, this is just utter drivel in our post truth world! Where is the WHO study 'proving' that 'consuming animal products regularly gives people cancer and/or heart disease'.

Do you not see how dangerous it is to peddle these myths? It's all very well for us educated folks on TSR. But some people just accept things at face value without critically analysing the evidence. Don't you think you have a responsibility to them to present them with scientific fact rather than ideological fantasy?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Not making a claim is vastly preferable to making a false one. Particularly when you attempt to use sources to back these false claims up in a unjustifiable way. I'm not particularly bothered about whether or not you should be eating meat - I am bothered about someone with an agenda presenting an opinion as scientific fact.

The phrase is 'post truth'. And we need to point it out whenever we find it.
    You have drawn the conclusion that I have made a false claim based on your unwillingness to accept scientific fact as presented to you.

Regardless, based on a lack of factual evidence on your behalf I consider this debate to be concluded sir.

ReputationRep:
    It's not post-truth, it's alternate facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bean sprout)
    It's not post-truth, it's alternate facts
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    When I was diagnosed with anemia my doctor recommended red meat for me..why would he do that if it's bad for my health?
    Because It's iron rich, so for you personally, until you have more iron in your blood which is essential for normal bodily function, the benefits outweigh the negatives. The article isn't saying we should cut out meat products entirely; it's merely implying that we should consume less. Traditionally people consumed less meat, as not only was it expensive ( but with the price arguably comes a higher quality than the meat we have today that is very cheap), but it was also not a staple in the everyday diet; it was usually consumed only several times a week, or just at the main meal, not breakfast lunch and dinner! But I do agree, it has it's benefits but it's like anything, too much of a good thing and it's bad for you!

ReputationRep:
    When I was diagnosed with anemia my doctor recommended red meat for me..why would he do that if it's bad for my health?
    Well doctors have no, or little nutrition training so that would probably explain it

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; the nanny state will soon start telling people what they can and can't eat. And not just guidelines, they will enforce it.

ReputationRep:
    Once upon-a-time doctors recommended you smoked , look how well that turned out!

Personally I'm all for the veg revolution, even if there is ambiguousness over the health benefits; there can be no argument for the wholesale slaughter of sentient creatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    So finally a mainstream supermarket is stepping up and accepting that the consumption of meat is bad for our health and the health of the planet.

This is refreshing in a time where most people are happy to put their fingers in their ears and ignore the health warnings from scientists and researchers that animal products are responsible for poor health and poor environment.

And for those of you that don't care about your health, the health of other sentient beings, or the health of our planet, you will also save money by being vegetarian through earning vouchers and additional reward points.

Full Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...at-consumption

What are your thoughts? Do you care? If not then why not (ignorant bravado)?
    I don't see how anyone could call this anything but positive

My only hope is they don't needlessly wrap everything in plastic...

I don't know whether I'm totally for eradicating the vegetarian aisle though... it's great to have the alternatives next to what they're replicating to encourage people but it'll also be a pain finding stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The World Health Organisation has labelled processed meat as a Group 1 carcinogen and red meat as a Group 2 carcinogen. There is overwhelming scientific evidence that points towards animal products as leading to heart disease, cancer and other health issues.

The impact of animal products on the human body is not new news, it is however only now becoming more widely believed and accepted.
    I know other people will have already challenged this, but I'm going to add to it. There is very little evidence to support the vegetarian propaganda about meat being inherently unhealthy and terrible for you. The studies they cite to argue this (in the vast majority of campaigns and articles I've seen) are often just correlation studies - "meat eaters have higher xyz cancer rates than vegetarians". That does not prove any causal link.

Vegetarians are more health conscious than the average person. A comparison between them and "everyone else" is of course going to reveal some differences in factors related to health - you're comparing a health conscious group to a "meat eaters" group which includes people who sit in front of the TV eating burgers and bacon sandwiches. If you could somehow split "meat eaters" into those who make an effort with health and those who don't, you'd probably see similar differences.

Vegetarianism also forces you to include more vegetables in your diet, which a lot of us probably need to sort out, but which can easily be done on a diet that still includes meat. That could also explain a lot of it.

Some people do eat too much meat (and get too little exercise), but "eating too much meat is bad for you" is hardly a controversial statement. And it's completely different to saying "meat is inherently bad for you and you need to stop eating it altogether because any amount of it is unhealthy", which is just nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; the nanny state will soon start telling people what they can and can't eat. And not just guidelines, they will enforce it.
    Yep, I think we should just keep on pretending this planet isn't a closed system with limited resources! Bloody Sainsbury's, trying to encourage us to reduce our meat consumption while we still have time!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiew06)
    There have been many studies including the China Study... that have proved/concluded that consuming animal products regularly give people cancer and/or heart disease.
    The China study doesn't prove that at all because it's just a big correlation study. i.e. It can't prove any causal link between animal products and those diseases.

See my other comment which expands on that a bit. A lot of the "vegetarians are healthier in xyz area than meat eaters" studies only show a correlation between vegetarianism and low rates of some illnesses, which could easily be explained by vegetarians being more health conscious on average than the rest of the population, and by the vegetarian diet forcing them to eat more vegetables (which some meat eaters don't get enough of, probably me included). It doesn't necessarily mean that vegetarian and vegan diets are inherently any better for you than ones that include meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markusface)
    This is fantastic news! More supermarkets need to follow suit to help reduce the demand for meat. From a public health perspective, we should all be concerned about widespread antibiotic use in animal agriculture as a driving force for antibiotic resistance, potentially plunging us back into the pre antibiotic era. Not worth all the bacon sarnies in the world imho.
    One good reason to go easy on the meat
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    we'd all be dead sooner or later lol so why care so much as long as you're not eating mcdonalds every meal of the day
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If steak and eggs was good enough for Vince Gironda it is good enough for me :borat:

That said, vegetables prepared well are delicious so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    So finally a mainstream supermarket is stepping up and accepting that the consumption of meat is bad for our health and the health of the planet.
    There are reasons to reduce or eradicate consumption of meat but that isn't really one of them.

It's sugar and processed food that are the big problem health wise. Meat that has been messed with the least is a really good solution to this.

ReputationRep:
    Sure if you eat a ton of meat no veg and sit around all day sure you will get fat, but sainsburys being idiots and telling everyone to go veggie and trying to push that agenda is silly, sure promote eating veggies and being fit but if I want a really nice steak or some Tuna I am going to have my meat.

I have zero problem with the slaughtering of animals that have been bred to feed us and this will only make people want to shop less at sainsburys and go to other shops.

We have been eating meat forever and I hope we continue to, finding new ways to make it more efficent and better for the enviroment

ReputationRep:
    I think going vegetarian is a wonderful thing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You have drawn the conclusion that I have made a false claim based on your unwillingness to accept scientific fact as presented to you.

Regardless, based on a lack of factual evidence on your behalf I consider this debate to be concluded sir.
    You've not presented scientific fact though, you've completely misrepresented and overstretched it. Your evidence focuses on excessive consumption of red and processed meat- you're misrepresenting that to the point you're claiming moderate consumption of poultry and fish is unhealthy - which is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    You've not presented scientific fact though, you've completely misrepresented and overstretched it. Your evidence focuses on excessive consumption of red and processed meat- you're misrepresenting that to the point you're claiming moderate consumption of poultry and fish is unhealthy - which is untrue.
    Thank you. This is exactly what I took objection to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.