Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sainsbury's to promote a vegetarian diet based on Oxford Uni scientist recomendations Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather live for fewer years whilst enjoying delicious meat everyday. Overall my satisfaction in life will diminish without meat.

ReputationRep:
    Probably the best news I've heard all week...the health benefits pale in comparison to the positive repercussions to animal welfare, climate change, land usage, antibiotic resistance...

Hopefully this will lead the way for other supermarkets and, eventually, government policy?

ReputationRep:
    OP is a dumb post, meat is good.

ReputationRep:
    @kalclash "Meat" isn't bad for our health :eyeball: Processed crap with nitrates and sulphites and such, sure. But well sourced good quality meat is nutritionally important. You can do without it, but only with very hard work and a lot of inconvenience, supplementing several nutrients artificially. Most people eat below their RDA of protein. And up to date nutritional research definitely doesn't support the idea that meat is unilaterally bad for your health. Even the link between saturated fat, cholesterol and heart disease is out of date now. Unfortunately it takes about 25 years for organisations like the government or the WHO or whoever to accept something as a consensus, and to slowly turn around and change policy.

There are ways to farm animals that aren't environmentally harmful.
    The issue... same as usual... is huge mass scale factory farming. That needs an overhaul. But that doesn't mean we need to go off of meat entirely.

I don't even like meat that much but I go out of my way to try and eat some every day because of how convinced I am that it's the best thing for my health, after reading a lot about it.

Incidentally, I'm paleo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    Do you accept that you have already been conditioned by your parents, peers and most of all mass advertising throughout your life? The comments in this thread prove that people will go to great lengths to ignore facts because it doesn't suit their ideology.
    Seriously... what is this thread?
    You wrote an incredibly patronising and moralising OP, where you prejudged whole swathes of people. And then, to make it worse, you didn't even spend time qualifying your broad brush claims with any kind of real substance. Just hand waves to the WHO and a Guardian article.

Believe it or not, there are other humans who use TSR that are also capable of being critical of the information they hear from parents, friends, the media (the only source you actually used to justify your position here) and advertising. And I would be willing to bet that there are many here better read on this issue than you are. You can't just assume that if people don't get the same answer from the maths, that their calculations were off and yours were flawless. And the only person I've seen in this thread ignoring things that don't 'suit their ideology' is yourself. The OP of this thread smacks of ideology.

I'm really quite shocked and disappointed.

A minimal professional requirement of writing content on issues that are notoriously controversial include:
    a) At least pretend to be neutral
    b) Don't insult your audience
    c) Substantiate your claims properly.

This is a huge site full of young adults, many of whom have unusually high academic ambition and attainment. They have the free time to dredge up scarily precise and in-depth sources if you rile them up. I presume that you don't. Which is why it's unfortunate that the execution of this thread was akin to painting yourself red and walking into a bullring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    consumption of meat is bad for our health
    What a blanket statement lie you have created. Did you also make the clickbait title in "Today on TSR"?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Would like to weigh in a little bit...

Although people hate to hear it, killing an animal because you like the taste of it seems to me to be inescapably selfish and immoral. Health questions aside, I don't think a person ought to be able to think of themselves as a good person and at the same time be okay with mass killing for the sake of their own pleasure. Those two things just don't seem compatible.

In so far as that comes across as moralising or preachy, I don't mean it to be, but I can't pretend to think opposing views are equally valid. It's a serious subject and I see it the same way as I would any other crime - it's just difficult to talk about because it tends to hit close to home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Although people hate to hear it, killing an animal because you like the taste of it is inescapably selfish and immoral. A person oughtn't be able to think of themselves as a good person and at the same time be okay with mass killing for the sake of their own pleasure.

I'd like to be a little more amiable about it but I can't in good conscience pretend opposite views are equally valid.
    That is unfortunate for you. Morality is entirely subjective, animals lives are simply not worth all that much.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    That is unfortunate for you. Morality is entirely subjective, animals lives are simply not worth all that much.
    I'm just curious now but, if someone justified murder by saying "morality is entirely subjective, humans' lives are simply not worth all that much," what do you think the appropriate response would be?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry guys, you all go vegetarian. Here in Japan they have something called 焼肉食べ放題 which means all you can eat meat. My friend went vegetarian so I decided to eat her share of the food so it didn't go to waste - happy to do the same for you too. Personal record: 3kg in 2 hours.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Don't worry guys, you all go vegetarian. Here in Japan they have something called 焼肉食べ放題 which means all you can eat meat. My friend went vegetarian so I decided to eat her share of the food so it didn't go to waste - happy to do the same for you too. Personal record: 3kg in 2 hours.
    Going to a 焼肉食べ放題... definitely one of the struggles of being vegetarian in Japan.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Although people hate to hear it, killing an animal because you like the taste of it seems to me to be inescapably selfish and immoral.
    I respect people who hold this opinion even if I disagree, but I wonder, how far does your concern for animals extend? Would you boycott a company if they were involved in killing animals? What about a country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Going to a 焼肉食べ放題... definitely one of the struggles of being vegetarian in Japan.
    There's still a decent selection of veg at most, and some even have tofu. For roughly 3000 yen for 2 hours of all you can eat and drink, I'd be going even if I weren't a meat eater :P .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I'm just curious now but, if someone justified murder by saying "morality is entirely subjective, humans' lives are simply not worth all that much," what do you think the appropriate response would be?
    There is no appropriate response.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I respect people who hold this opinion even if I disagree, but I wonder, how far does your concern for animals extend? Would you boycott a company if they were involved in killing animals? What about a country?
    It doesn't extend forever. As it happens I ran that experiment - I chose to move to a country where vegetarianism is difficult and ended up eating meat there. I don't know how far a person should be expected to go to avoid meat being part of their diet, but I do think a person shouldn't want meat to be part of their diet.

(Original post by ViralRiver)
    There's still a decent selection of veg at most, and some even have tofu. For roughly 3000 yen for 2 hours of all you can eat and drink, I'd be going even if I weren't a meat eater :P .
    I actually went to one on Friday since my friend was leaving. Unfortunately no tofu.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy saying that when it is you at the top of the pile.

There is no appropriate response.
    lol

You thought of taking up philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't know how far a person should be expected to go to avoid meat being part of their diet, but I do think a person shouldn't want meat to be part of their diet.
    So it's better to eat meat whilst at once condemning it as grotesquely immoral than otherwise?

I find this illogical, hypocritical, weak, and any number of other negative adjectives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It's easy saying that when it is you at the top of the pile.

lol

You thought of taking up philosophy?
    It is easy to say when you actually can say it.

No, I feel my intellect would be wasted.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    So it's better to eat meat whilst at once condemning it as grotesquely immoral than otherwise?

I find this illogical, hypocritical, weak, and any number of other negative adjectives.
    If someone commits murder, is it better or worse for them to admit to their wrongdoing?

It isn't illogical for them to admit it was wrong, since that is the truth. It's also not hypocritical, since they aren't pretending to be more virtuous than the degree to which they freely admit. I can't deny the third charge though - it is weakness, but not quite weakness of the sort as if they had buried their head in the sand, and pretended to themselves and the world that their crimes weren't crimes at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    If someone commits murder, is it better or worse for them to admit to their wrongdoing?
    I think the best way I can answer that is with a hypothetical.

A and B each kill another person (T) who was blackmailing each of them with compromising information. The consequence of the release of the information which T had would have been moderate humiliation among A and B's peers and families, with some risk of losing touch with some family members, but there was no risk to their security, homes, or livelihoods.

Going in, A considered his actions fully justified to extricate himself from the situation. It was, he considered, entirely the fault of the other party for putting him in this situation.

B acknowledged that what he was doing was wrong, but that he simply couldn't abide having the threat remain over his head or the alternative of having the information scape.

It would be sensible to say that A and B have committed equally immoral acts.

I propose that B showed a lack of integrity which A did not by acting contrarily to his own principles.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.