Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Good Morning Folks

    I hope you're all well. I have been unemployed for a while and although I have applied to numerous vacancies, I haven't had much success.

    You will probably have heard of the fact that only 20% of the jobs get advertised whereas the other 80% of the jobs are found in the 'hidden' job market. With this in mind, would it be a good idea to send speculative letters with a copy of my cv, to local employers by going through, perhaps, the yellow pages directory?

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning Folks

    I hope you're all well. I have been unemployed for a while and although I have applied to numerous vacancies, I haven't had much success.

    You will probably have heard of the fact that only 20% of the jobs get advertised whereas the other 80% of the jobs are found in the 'hidden' job market. With this in mind, would it be a good idea to send speculative letters with a copy of my cv, to local employers by going through, perhaps, the yellow pages directory?

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    What kinds of roles are you looking for?
    • Official TSR Representative
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    Do you know what area of work you are looking for? And are you looking in just one particular location?

    Milkround advertises lots of jobs, both for university graduates and school leavers. You can filter your search by location and sector, which might make it a bit easier for you to look and apply for some!
    http://www.milkround.com/jobs/#browsing


    We've also got an advice section, filled with so much about interview help, CV tips and sector specific information, which might help you out in your job search as well.
    http://advice.milkround.com/

    I would love to know how your job hunt goes - keep us updated if you get any results!
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning Folks

    I hope you're all well. I have been unemployed for a while and although I have applied to numerous vacancies, I haven't had much success.

    You will probably have heard of the fact that only 20% of the jobs get advertised whereas the other 80% of the jobs are found in the 'hidden' job market. With this in mind, would it be a good idea to send speculative letters with a copy of my cv, to local employers by going through, perhaps, the yellow pages directory?

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    What sort of jobs are you wanting to go for?
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning Folks

    I hope you're all well. I have been unemployed for a while and although I have applied to numerous vacancies, I haven't had much success.

    You will probably have heard of the fact that only 20% of the jobs get advertised whereas the other 80% of the jobs are found in the 'hidden' job market. With this in mind, would it be a good idea to send speculative letters with a copy of my cv, to local employers by going through, perhaps, the yellow pages directory?

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    As others have said, what kind of job are you going for? And where are you falling down? Are you getting interviews or not? In general terms the best approach is to make fewer targetted applications which demonstrate why you want the job and how you meet the job criteria with examples, than operating a scattergun approach where its clear you aren't that enthusiastic about the role. Apologies if you are already doing that.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.