Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Morning All.

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a question for me.

I'm 25, currently working full time, expecting a child and have a partner who will be dropping onto Maternity Leave in 2 months.

I'm at a point in my life where I need to act and make a decision on my future before it's too late. Thus, I am finally looking at the possibility of doing an Open University course - part time as full time is not an option.

I'd love to do one in Computer Science.

However, I doubt with all the changes in the next couple of months I would be able to afford it. Currently, the cost of the computing course with embedded computer science is £16,716.

My question is this: How much funding/what is the maximum amount I would be able to receive from Student Finance to fund my course part time?

If someone could answer me this I would be very grateful.

Best regards,
    Reece

ReputationRep:
    The only way to know for sure exactly what student funding you're entitled to is to apply! But if you're a first time student, meet the residency and nationality requirements etc, then you should be able to access at least some sort of student funding.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response.

What us the process for applying? I seem to be told to apply for my course, and then for my funding.

I'm probably looking at this the wrong way, but I don't want to commit to a course only to find out I cannot afford to pay for it.

In regards to the funding itself, is there a way to check if I am eligible or is it a simple process of just applying and hope for the best?

Thanks again,
    Reece

ReputationRep:
    I would check out the website for the organisation that funds OU. In Scotland, this is SAAS, but I'm not sure about elsewhere.
    Also, you can drop a module or course before the module starts, usually without incurring fees - just contact Student Services. If you're going for an October start, that gives you more than enough time to get finance sorted or drop the course if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    The good news is that you don't have to worry about anything for the time being, because there's nothing you can do right now, anyway. I don't think that modules will be open for enrolment until March, and Student Finance probably won't be taking applications for the 2017/2018 academic year until sometime around mid-May.

I enrolled in the Q62 Computing & IT course and the TU100 module last May. (TU100 is starting its final presentation either this week or next, so your first module will probably be TM111, unless you go a maths-first route or something. You'll be one up on me, as you won't be learning that 3G is the latest and greatest.) Whilst enrolling, it asked me for my Student Finance Account Number, so I went over to SFE and created an account there, even though they weren't yet accepting applications for the 2016/2017 academic year.

A couple of weeks later, SFE opened up applications, and I submitted my application to them. I went the long route, as I'm an immigrant without a UK passport, and it took about three weeks to get my approval. At that point, there was nothing left to do but wait until the Autumn when the module started. (I spent my time brushing up on study habits, and taking MOOCs.)

Don't worry about enrolling on a module and not getting funding. It's a bit difficult to weave through the OUs policies on the topic, but if you withdraw from a module before it starts, it counts as a cancellation and there's no financial liability for it. (Section 6.5 of the withdrawls policy and 3B14 of the fee schedule.) In fact, the section under 3B27 shows that you have no liability with SFE, SFW, or the OU's own OUSBA so long as you withdraw within the first 13 days of the module.

If you'd like an even longer version of events, the entire enrolment is covered in the May 2016 section of my Q62 blog.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.