Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So long story short:
    - The friends I made in halls all fell out with eachother so we spilt up, the group I ended up with are really selfish, they keep me up at night when I'm a nursing student on night shifts etc. My only friend in the house left and since then we haven't had a 'stable tenant' because people come and go so I feel quite lonely and isolated in my house.
    - My group of friends on my course is gradually getting smaller because people are one by one getting removed from the course due to failing assignments/placement.
    - I miss home, even though home is only an hour away but it's because I feel really lonely at uni. I struggle to make friends and now it seems when I DO make friends they're leaving uni etc.

I'm not enjoying my experience at uni at the moment, I'm close to quitting but I don't know what I would do if I wasn't doing this course?

Do any of you feel lonely at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Could you join any societies? It's quite difficult due to your night shifts, but if you could find some interesting societies that you can attend flexibly, then you could try making some friends there

(Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Could you join any societies? It's quite difficult due to your night shifts, but if you could find some interesting societies that you can attend flexibly, then you could try making some friends there
    I can try and find one it's just finding the confidence to join them late?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Join clubs, societies out of uni and join social clubs out of uni if you have to.

Introduce yourself and talk to people about the course at lectures, tutorials.

To help you in general with meeting people:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller lol.

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you, you?

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, interested, relaxed, open to people.

You can be my friend .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.