Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm currently in the process of applying for university, however, I've recently decided I would like to postpone uni for one year.
    Instead, as a sort of gap year, I would like to join the HND at my local college, and re-apply for university 2017/2018.
    I would also like to study abroad for a year after my first two years of university.

I'm wondering if anyone can walk me through how much of this is possible, please? How much will student finance cover? and how much, if any, would I have to cover myself?

Thank you so much!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Andy_Roberts

You will be eligible for funding to top up your one year HND to degree level. If the study abroad is part of your course, you can still apply for funding.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've not started higher education yet.

The one year on the HND would be my first year of higher education, and is just about giving me an extra year to decide which uni I want to go to in 2018. When I apply for uni in 2018, I'd be applying for the full three years as well as a year abroad. In total that's five years of higher education.

From what I've read in other posts, I can only get funding for four years, is that right?

My questions are: Is what I want to do possible? If any, what would I be able to get funding for? and what would I have to fund myself? Would I be able to get the fifth year of maintenance loan, but only four years of tuition fee loan?

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Andy_Roberts

You don't get a specific amount of years of funding, it depends on what you are studying and how long the courses are.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant you are able to do a 1 year HND, then top up to full degree including the placement.

the calculation we use is 4 years of the new course + your HND (as topping up) = 5
    minus all year of previous study which would be the 1 year HND leaving you 4 years to do the 4 year course

Hope this explains a bit better

ReputationRep:
    That's great news, thank you so much! Really happy with that.

It's still a bit confusing as to how it all works, but as long as I'm able to get tuition fee loan and maintenance loan throughout all five years, that's all that matters.

Again, thank you so much for clearing that up! You've been a great help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.