Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! An old mate from University who I don't see often now... probably only a few times a year, has asked me if I'm free to go to his wedding, but he's also asked me to be his best man.

I feel quite honoured, and I'd like to go to the wedding, but he hasn't recently seemed that interested in meeting up. He lives around 20 miles away so it's not like it's really far. We were best mates throughout Uni though.

What do you think?

Also, as stupid as it sounds, what does being a best man mean? I always felt like he was a "best" mate in University, but if I've got to do something like a speech, I wouldn't really know what to say if I'm honest because I haven't seen him recently. He has been busy with work and moving out and things... I guess he's still a mate though? What do you think? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hey! An old mate from University who I don't see often now... probably only a few times a year, has asked me if I'm free to go to his wedding, but he's also asked me to be his best man.

I feel quite honoured, and I'd like to go to the wedding, but he hasn't recently seemed that interested in meeting up. He lives around 20 miles away so it's not like it's really far. We were best mates throughout Uni though.

What do you think?

Also, as stupid as it sounds, what does being a best man mean? I always felt like he was a "best" mate in University, but if I've got to do something like a speech, I wouldn't really know what to say if I'm honest because I haven't seen him recently. He has been busy with work and moving out and things... I guess he's still a mate though? What do you think? Thanks
    You should feel privileged - it is an honour to be asked. Basically, as a best man you're there to help and support your mate as he does the deed. You help him with some of the boring admin, you arrange the stag do. You often end up dealing with the bridesmaids (in more than one sense) and both families. You liaise with church/registry office/venue inasmuch as the bridal couple want you to, and the groom's family and ushers. You sort out the safekeeping of rings, have input in the cars (R8 or DB9...) Basically, you're a glorified wingman. It's great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You should feel privileged - it is an honour to be asked. Basically, as a best man you're there to help and support your mate as he does the deed. You help him with some of the boring admin, you arrange the stag do. You often end up dealing with the bridesmaids (in more than one sense) and both families. You liaise with church/registry office/venue inasmuch as the bridal couple want you to, and the groom's family and ushers. You sort out the safekeeping of rings, have input in the cars (R8 or DB9...) Basically, you're a glorified wingman. It's great!
    I feel absolutely honoured, yes!

I'm just not the most overly confident guy and wouldn't want to ruin anything!

ReputationRep:
    I feel absolutely honoured, yes!

I'm just not the most overly confident guy and wouldn't want to ruin anything!
    You absolutely won't ruin anything! You won't be totally left to your own devices - you're there to support rather than mastermind the whole thing by yourself. If there's a Bridezilla on the loose, she'll probably make all the arrangements, so your job is to keep the groom calm and the bride sweet.

So long as you don't do a Him and Her on the groom speech-wise, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You absolutely won't ruin anything! You won't be totally left to your own devices - you're there to support rather than mastermind the whole thing by yourself. If there's a Bridezilla on the loose, she'll probably make all the arrangements, so your job is to keep the groom calm and the bride sweet.

So long as you don't do a Him and Her on the groom speech-wise, you'll be fine.
    Haha thank you.

Would it be alright to text him back something like "I feel absolutely honoured!" and ask him if we could meet up to chat about it? Or would that sound a bit odd?

I know his girlfriend too (from when we were all at the same Uni), they're both really nice!

ReputationRep:
    Haha thank you.

Would it be alright to text him back something like "I feel absolutely honoured!" and ask him if we could meet up to chat about it? Or would that sound a bit odd?

I know his girlfriend too (from when we were all at the same Uni), they're both really nice!
    Yes! I think that is exactly the right thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I think that is exactly the right thing to do.
    Thank you! have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! have a good day!
    You're welcome: and you Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    I was asked to be a best man many years ago. I did it although I really didn't want to and after I'd said yes to him all my mates told me he'd asked them first and they'd all turned him down. He was a weird guy though and his wife was even more weird!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.