Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what the interpreting and translating course is like at Heriot Watt. Do you do a lot of cultural topics or is it more grammar focused? If anyone is able to give me any information of the course that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlnextdior)
    I was just wondering what the interpreting and translating course is like at Heriot Watt. Do you do a lot of cultural topics or is it more grammar focused? If anyone is able to give me any information of the course that would be great

Hi girlnextdior! (cool name btw!)

Hopefully someone can give you a response from the student perspective but I'm happy to tell you about our Interpreting and Translating degree from the University's point of view.

Initially the degree is mainly focused on bringing the student's fluency up to a good enough level to handle authentic speeches or dialogues in their foreign languages, so there’s a strong focus on grammar, but also on spoken skills and oral comprehension.

As the degree progresses there is still a lot of focus on perfecting your language skills, but we also dedicate a good amount of time to the cultural, social, economic and political situations in different areas related to each language. We do this because we're a very industry focused university and it is crucial to the training of translators or interpreters that they understand the countries and cultures that they may work with in the future.

So, the short answer is that both aspects feature strongly throughout our degree at different stages, and that both are really important if you'd like to work in Interpreting or Translating in the future!

Best of luck with your future studies! Maybe we'll see you in our interpreting booths soon.

Thanks

Daniel (Heriot-Watt School of Social Sciences)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.