Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My tutor told me I did good on my essay but I didn't? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i got my first essay back and I....did **** bascially and it destroyed my confidence to carry on with uni.

I was expecting quite good feedback from my essay as I sent it to my tutor to mark. His response was really good and he told me to improve on things like my conclusion (which should have been my introduction) and that my research was good and overall I did well, I was pleased.
    However looking at my essay I made mistakes in my introduction which my tutor didn't even say and other things that I wouldn't have thought would have been bought up.

Although I did pass, I am extremely depressed about this, like my motivation is so low now and although my final mark was 40 (a pass) I still feel like I "failed"
    I know this is my first year and doesn't count towards my degree, but in all honesty I feel like dropping out honestly because I don't think I am doing as good. I am waiting back for a reponse from my tutor but how should I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too hard on yourself - it's one of your first essays in your first term. If you were getting 80s already, then how would you progress, given that university is all about progress.

Just take the feedback on the chin, try to learn from it (and don't be afraid to ask for more feedback or clarification of what he's already given you) and try to incorporate his points for improvement in your next essay. Onwards and upwards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovebigcocker)
    By any chance do you go to manchester met??? Cus in this case your essay was probably outstanding.
    No. I dont go there. Honestly I am so sad right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovebigcocker)
    You're probably on a dance degree and this is probably some coursework u had to do, so it doesn't really matter if u did badly because you won't get a job afterwards anyway. Just cut your losses and go to manchester met instead.

Many thanks,
    the cocker
    Just looked at your name and realised you are a troll.
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of first year is getting everyone used to what's expected/normal at uni. It really doesn't matter what happens on your first essay so try not to think about it so much. Of course, speak to your tutor to find out how you can bring it up to a 2.1 next time but for now there's no need to panic, just keep plugging away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.