Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So just started a new part time job. I am also doing agency work which I started before this job, so when I got the new job I ticked that it was my second job.

I have just been paid and have been taxed just over £200 for a part time wage? That sounds like a lot, is it because I ticked it was my second job? If so then I might as well just give up the agency work as I only do it every now and then.

My tax code on this new slip is BR (W1/M1).

Please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jig2)
    So just started a new part time job. I am also doing agency work which I started before this job, so when I got the new job I ticked that it was my second job.

I have just been paid and have been taxed just over £200 for a part time wage? That sounds like a lot, is it because I ticked it was my second job? If so then I might as well just give up the agency work as I only do it every now and then.

My tax code on this new slip is BR (W1/M1).

Please help!!
    You're probably being emergency taxed. Call up HMRC and they'll refund you your money

ReputationRep:
    BR is an emergency tax code so you automatically get taxed 20%. When I had that, I rang HMRC and let them know I was taxed too much and had multiple jobs. They changed my tax codes around. Don't give up the other job, just organise the tax codes so that there's a lower limit on the agency if that's what pays the least.

ReputationRep:
    The other posters are correct. Because you declared this as a 'second job' your tax code is BR = basic rate = 20%! Ring up HMRC and explain the situation so they can get it refunded.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You're probably being emergency taxed. Call up HMRC and they'll refund you your money
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goranpandev)
    shouldn't have done a dance degree then youd have enough to pay the taxes........ heard manchester met have a high average starting salary so that might be something to consider mate
    ...I'm a Nursing student at a Russell Group uni but sure...

ReputationRep:
    1st: manchester met is russell group
    2nd: nursing is a medicine reject course isn't it, that's what my 2 doctor friends told me, like durham to oxford etc etc
    3rd: idek nursing was even a degree lol, its like btec right?

btw i go to oxford
    Bringing up irrelevant nonsense just so that you can argue with someone, smh

ReputationRep:
    2nd: nursing is a medicine reject course isn't it, that's what my 2 doctor friends told me, like durham to oxford etc etc

btw i go to oxford
    If youre not gonna answer the question then piss off

ReputationRep:

btw i go to oxford
    Piss off spoilt rah.

ReputationRep:
    OP because it's your second job your full tax free allowance is currently ALL allocated to job no. 1 - which means you will be taxed on every penny you earn in this new job... if you call up HMRC you can redistribute your tax free allowance, so if both jobs are part time you could just allocate half to each job so you shouldn't end up paying tax on either.

ReputationRep:
    You have a personal allowance for tax purposes of £11,000. This means that in a tax year if your earnings are less than £11,000 then you don't have to pay any tax.

But if you have more than 1 job its your responsibility, not the tax office, to decide how you want to allocate that £11,000. If you don't expect to earn over £5500 in either job then phone the tax office and ask them to allocate allowances of £5500 to each job. They will then send a tax coding to your employer and your employer will give you a tax rebate with your pay.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.