Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to date someone you're not physically attracted to? Watch

Announcements

There is this girl who I used to go to college with and we got on great, we then went to different uni's but we still talk to each other whenever we can and we get on great together. Recently as more and more of my friends are entering relationships I've found that my friendship circle has reduced dramatically as I am practically the only one who is single.

So I was contemplating asking if this girl wanted to go out sometime maybe for drinks or something to eat, I guess it would be like a date but the only problem is I don't think I am physically attracted to her. Don't get me wrong she is good looking, but I just don't have a physical attraction to her for some reason.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There is this girl who I used to go to college with and we got on great, we then went to different uni's but we still talk to each other whenever we can and we get on great together. Recently as more and more of my friends are entering relationships I've found that my friendship circle has reduced dramatically as I am practically the only one who is single.

So I was contemplating asking if this girl wanted to go out sometime maybe for drinks or something to eat, I guess it would be like a date but the only problem is I don't think I am physically attracted to her. Don't get me wrong she is good looking, but I just don't have a physical attraction to her for some reason.

What should I do?
    Don't start dating someone jsut because all your friends are. It's not fair on either of you. I'd say go with her as a mate and who knows maybe you could develop an attraction? Just don't ask her out if you're not attracted to her as it'd be a piss take for both of you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a date then? It will only be a date if you make it one. Tell her you want to catch up over lunch. Keep it casual and it won't be a date.

Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible but not recommended.

If you're not really into her you will never treat her fairly

So don't do it.

Kind of a dumb reason to date someone, everyone else is in a relationship therefore you want someone too and therefore you will just settle for someone you know rather than get out there and try dating someone? Join a dating site and find a woman, keep this friend as just a friend.

ReputationRep:
    I dated this girl who I wasn't physically into a week ago.

I thought I might as well go because 1) it has been a while 2) she seemed nice.

Pointless.

I didn't find my ex boyfriend physically attractive at all. I dated him because I liked his personality at the time and thought looks don't matter, personality is what is most important. However, it started to matter because I simply didn't want to be physically affectionate with him at all, I was just turned off so I didn't want to hug, kiss, I would always pull away without realising it. I put it down to shyness but I think there was just no sexual chemistry whatsoever, because my current boyfriend is really attractive to me, and nothing seems difficult with him, I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to be intimate when my mind is saying no.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.