Turn on thread page Beta

Product design- Mechanical Engineer Graduate help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

From my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals.

Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valve0)
    Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

From my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals.

Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom
    What hands-on experience have you got? What software have you used?

The students I know that have got straight into design have usually had degrees from non-RG unis where they have practical examples to show from their degree.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.