Product Design-Mechanical Engineering Graduate help!

Watch
valve0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

During my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals. Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by valve0)
Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

During my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals. Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom
I'd probably look at going straight into a product design type role. If you're mainly interested in smaller companies then you probably won't find many grad schemes, as they're mainly offered by the larger employers - and may not suit you anyway if you know what you want to do and get stuck in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed