Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Product Design-Mechanical Engineering Graduate help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

During my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals. Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by valve0)
    Hi there, I'm a recent Graduate from the University of Bristol achieving a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering MEng and am looking for any advice regarding getting into it a career hopefully working in a product design.

During my degree I really enjoyed the elements of 3D modelling, mechanical Designing, rapid prototyping manufacture and validation. This creative 'hands on engineering' has led me to peruse a career as a mechanical engineer within a product design consultancy that would offer a variety of work. From this understanding my goal would be to work for a small- medium product design consultancy- working with innovators to realise their inventions.

I am still interested remaining and developing as mechanical engineer, hopefully achieving chartership. Working as a mechanical engineer in a product design company does not appear to be the most conventional route for a mechanical engineer, as I am not finding many grad schemes or offerings tailored for those fresh out of uni and I am struggling to find the best way to reach my goals. Would a general mechanical engineering grad scheme equip me with the skills that a product design company would look for, or would I be better to try and go straight into the sector?

Any help to dispel my assumptions or to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated- many thanks in advance!

Tom
    I'd probably look at going straight into a product design type role. If you're mainly interested in smaller companies then you probably won't find many grad schemes, as they're mainly offered by the larger employers - and may not suit you anyway if you know what you want to do and get stuck in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.