Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am looking to go back to study at 30 (starting Jan 2018) and I am not sure what I can get in the way of loans for course fees.

Firstly I want to study an Access to higher education course... I would need an adult learning loan to pay for it but the trouble is I've already had one about 4 years ago to pay to study a level 3 Btec course (same level of study). Would I be able to get the same support again?

Also after I have completed this I would like to do a foundation degree, but again... I studied the first year of a foundation degree when I was 21 and got financial support for the fees. I am concerned this means I won't be entitled to support again and therefore can't afford to pay for the course.

Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Moonbrains

With regards to the previous study for the advanced learner loan, you are not usually able to get another loan for an access course but please contact the advanced learner loan team to look into this for you: 0300 100 0619

You will be eligible to do the foundation degree if you have only studied one year at this level and did not gain the qualification.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pamela SFE)
    Hi Moonbrains

With regards to the previous study for the advanced learner loan, you are not usually able to get another loan for an access course but please contact the advanced learner loan team to look into this for you: 0300 100 0619

You will be eligible to do the foundation degree if you have only studied one year at this level and did not gain the qualification.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the information!

I gave them a call and was given all good news!

First I spoke to student finance about a future Fdsc and they informed me I am entitled too full tuition and maintenance support which is great. This is because, as you said, I didn't complete the last Fdsc.

They then put me through too the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan team, and I was informed I would also be fully entitled to this as well to cover my access to HE course, because it is classed as a different type of course to the Level 3 BTEC qualification.

So in regards to the advanced learning loan, you can get it to complete a level 3 course such as a BTEC/A-levels... and then still get support again for an access course but obviously not for another level 3 course or access course at another time.

I was also told once I complete the Fdsc the advanced learning loan will get written off.

Also there isn't any maintenance support available for Access courses.

Thought I would share in case this is helpful to anyone.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Moonbrains

That's great, glad you got all the information required and sharing it with others

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.