Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having no motivation and feeling anxious at university Watch

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I am currently a first year student at university and since about half way through semester 1 (I am in semester 2 now) i have been feeling anxious when at university. I am at a big university with so many students and my lecture halls always have so many people. I hate walking around university myself though obviously i have to do that to some extent. However, i avoid going into the main library as much as i can as i feel so self conscious going in there and also i cant stand eating lunch by myself around campus, i feel so embarrassed. So i either just have to stick it out and feel really bad or decide to go home early (i get a train to and from uni every day) to have my lunch on the train.

I am not sure if i have social anxiety or not, but i definitely have not been attending lectures, classes and other things due to feeling this. Also, with university work i find i have very very little motivation to do any work. Anything that is slightly difficult i give up with because i feel like i cant handle it and that i am not good enough. I dont really care anymore about university to be honest, but i know i cant drop out because i cant be a failure - i wouldn't want to live with myself. I dont know what to do because i struggle being at the university campus and i struggle with having any interest and motivation.

I keep worrying all the time about the way that i feel but i dont know what to do. I am currently attending weekly counselling sessions at my university and i have my last one this week. They havent been super helpful so far and all the sessions we have been trying to work out what is wrong. I like going to the sessions but i feel like the problem isnt coming across as bad as it really is. My counsellor thinks i have confidence and self esteem issues, which is true, but i dont know if they would be having this big an impact on me. Have any of you been in a similar situation? What should i do? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I am currently a first year student at university and since about half way through semester 1 (I am in semester 2 now) i have been feeling anxious when at university. I am at a big university with so many students and my lecture halls always have so many people. I hate walking around university myself though obviously i have to do that to some extent. However, i avoid going into the main library as much as i can as i feel so self conscious going in there and also i cant stand eating lunch by myself around campus, i feel so embarrassed. So i either just have to stick it out and feel really bad or decide to go home early (i get a train to and from uni every day) to have my lunch on the train.

I am not sure if i have social anxiety or not, but i definitely have not been attending lectures, classes and other things due to feeling this. Also, with university work i find i have very very little motivation to do any work. Anything that is slightly difficult i give up with because i feel like i cant handle it and that i am not good enough. I dont really care anymore about university to be honest, but i know i cant drop out because i cant be a failure - i wouldn't want to live with myself. I dont know what to do because i struggle being at the university campus and i struggle with having any interest and motivation.

I keep worrying all the time about the way that i feel but i dont know what to do. I am currently attending weekly counselling sessions at my university and i have my last one this week. They havent been super helpful so far and all the sessions we have been trying to work out what is wrong. I like going to the sessions but i feel like the problem isnt coming across as bad as it really is. My counsellor thinks i have confidence and self esteem issues, which is true, but i dont know if they would be having this big an impact on me. Have any of you been in a similar situation? What should i do? Thanks
    Just put paragraphs in for you to make this a bit easier to read well done for seeking help and getting counselling, sorry it's not been too helpful so far though. Can you print out this post and show it to them, that might be easier than trying to explain it all? Ask if there's any more support you can get from the uni too and what they'd advise you to do. The other person to see is your GP- there's a lot they can do to help including more focused counselling or therapy and, if they and you think it might help, medication. It sounds like you're really struggling and could really use some support though before things get any worse, so I would advise going to see them if you can. I promise you're not a failure and won't be whatever happens, you're ill and struggling and deserve to have some help with that. It's far more common than you think and you're definitely not the only person feeling this way, that doesn't make it any less horrible though I know. Hope you feel a bit better soon whatever you decide- you can do this!

(Original post by furryface12)
    Just put paragraphs in for you to make this a bit easier to read well done for seeking help and getting counselling, sorry it's not been too helpful so far though. Can you print out this post and show it to them, that might be easier than trying to explain it all? Ask if there's any more support you can get from the uni too and what they'd advise you to do. The other person to see is your GP- there's a lot they can do to help including more focused counselling or therapy and, if they and you think it might help, medication. It sounds like you're really struggling and could really use some support though before things get any worse, so I would advise going to see them if you can. I promise you're not a failure and won't be whatever happens, you're ill and struggling and deserve to have some help with that. It's far more common than you think and you're definitely not the only person feeling this way, that doesn't make it any less horrible though I know. Hope you feel a bit better soon whatever you decide- you can do this!
    Thanks so much for replying, i didn't think anyone would. I had my last session this week and she suggested that i still need further support for anxiety and suggested i see my gp. She has written me a letter for me to hand over to my gp (saying how i have been feeling etc) which makes me feel better to go to the gp. I am going to go tomorrow with my friend. I'm not looking forward to it, as i worry they will judge me (i know they probably wont but i still worry about that) but i feel i ought to go. I was also suggested some more longer term counselling as well but i will see what my gp can do first.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for replying, i didn't think anyone would. I had my last session this week and she suggested that i still need further support for anxiety and suggested i see my gp. She has written me a letter for me to hand over to my gp (saying how i have been feeling etc) which makes me feel better to go to the gp. I am going to go tomorrow with my friend. I'm not looking forward to it, as i worry they will judge me (i know they probably wont but i still worry about that) but i feel i ought to go. I was also suggested some more longer term counselling as well but i will see what my gp can do first.
    Any time! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner though. That all sounds really promising! Glad she took you seriously and you're going to see your GP, that's really hard. They won't judge you, I often have the same worry but they see loads of people in your situation, they will have heard far worse and it's what they're there for. Taking a friend with you is a good idea too, particularly the first time. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

(Original post by furryface12)
    Any time! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner though. That all sounds really promising! Glad she took you seriously and you're going to see your GP, that's really hard. They won't judge you, I often have the same worry but they see loads of people in your situation, they will have heard far worse and it's what they're there for. Taking a friend with you is a good idea too, particularly the first time. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    I went to my gp yesterday and she gave me an appointment for next week to see her again, and gave my forms to fill in to give them next time. My gp mentioned medication which i am quite worried about since my friend has been on medication for depression before and she had really bad side effects (being sick, dizziness etc) I am quite glad that i went to my gp yesterday because i feel like i am in a daze every day, i dont want to talk to people much which probably makes me seem rude but it is a big effort really, and i find it hard to get motivated with work. Even though part of me is glad i have went to the gp, i am worried that they will not be able to do much and they won't be very helpful.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I went to my gp yesterday and she gave me an appointment for next week to see her again, and gave my forms to fill in to give them next time. My gp mentioned medication which i am quite worried about since my friend has been on medication for depression before and she had really bad side effects (being sick, dizziness etc) I am quite glad that i went to my gp yesterday because i feel like i am in a daze every day, i dont want to talk to people much which probably makes me seem rude but it is a big effort really, and i find it hard to get motivated with work. Even though part of me is glad i have went to the gp, i am worried that they will not be able to do much and they won't be very helpful.
    Well done! I'd say medication would be worth a try if you can- the side affects aren't nice but they do go away after a couple of weeks normally and not everyone gets them. If you can push through that bit and the type you try works for you then they can make a huge difference. I can honestly say they saved my life and although I've dipped again in the last couple of weeks that's the first time I've felt really bad since just after I started them (and increased) nine months or so ago. See what you think anyway, it's your decision and you're right to be wary of them.

In terms of what else they can do, there are other things that can help such as counselling, CBT (a type of therapy) etc and the best results are often from a combination of things anyway. It is a bit of trial and error but once something works it can be really good. You've made the right first step in going anyway which is by far the hardest one, so well done you! Hope it all works out whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

Furryface's advice is really great and I'm so glad you followed it up. As a psychotherapist, I know sometime these time-limited counselling session you get at college are not the best, so going to the GP will get you onto another 'level', but, yes, if you can get the right meds and push through the initial couple of weeks, they are brilliant to help get you feeling more normal while you get some good therapy. Wishing you all the best x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.