The Student Room Group

Dating someone with mother's maiden name?

I'm Indian and this is seen as something that is frowned upon even if there is no relation there. I do know of people (mostly guys) that have gone against this and married people with their mother's maiden name - I remember at the time thinking that it was wrong but, actually, it's not so bad since the girl changes her surname anyway. It would probably be a lot harder for a girl to marry someone with their mum's maiden name, as they'd then end up with that surname.

Anyway, I've met someone who, annoyingly, has my mother's maiden name but I am certain there's no relation there. Going forward I am interested in dating him, but not if it can't potentially lead to marriage.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Bump
Sounds pretty silly to me that this would be any issue whatsoever
Is he at least a doctor or a lawyer? If so, you may be able to get away with it.
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
Is he at least a doctor or a lawyer? If so, you may be able to get away with it.

Hahaha! He is actually a doctor.
Reply 5
Original post by AndrewSCO
Sounds pretty silly to me that this would be any issue whatsoever

I know - it is silly! But then so is a lot of things in my culture :colonhash:
Original post by Anonymous
I know - it is silly! But then so is a lot of things in my culture :colonhash:

Why would it be a problem to some people? Because they believe you two must be related way back or something?
Hahaha! He is actually a doctor.

Then it will be fine. Threaten to date a white aspiring musician instead and see if they don't suddenly support your decision :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by AndrewSCO
Why would it be a problem to some people? Because they believe you two must be related way back or something?

Something like that.. I think because it shows that his family is from the same village as my mums and that yeh there is possibly some relation there. Even though it's such a common surname anyway
Reply 9
Something like that.. I think because it shows that his family is from the same village as my mums and that yeh there is possibly some relation there. Even though it's such a common surname anyway

I thought Indians didn't care about that sort of stuff and frequently married their 1st cousins

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775
I thought Indians didn't care about that sort of stuff and frequently married their 1st cousins

Spoiler

In my religion we don't. If he was Khan/Choudary that'd be even worse :redface:
If it's Kaur then I wouldn't worry too much about it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending