Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm Indian and this is seen as something that is frowned upon even if there is no relation there. I do know of people (mostly guys) that have gone against this and married people with their mother's maiden name - I remember at the time thinking that it was wrong but, actually, it's not so bad since the girl changes her surname anyway. It would probably be a lot harder for a girl to marry someone with their mum's maiden name, as they'd then end up with that surname.

Anyway, I've met someone who, annoyingly, has my mother's maiden name but I am certain there's no relation there. Going forward I am interested in dating him, but not if it can't potentially lead to marriage.

What should I do?

Bump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds pretty silly to me that this would be any issue whatsoever
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is he at least a doctor or a lawyer? If so, you may be able to get away with it.

(Original post by ByronicHero)
    Is he at least a doctor or a lawyer? If so, you may be able to get away with it.
    Hahaha! He is actually a doctor.

(Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Sounds pretty silly to me that this would be any issue whatsoever
    I know - it is silly! But then so is a lot of things in my culture
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know - it is silly! But then so is a lot of things in my culture
    Why would it be a problem to some people? Because they believe you two must be related way back or something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hahaha! He is actually a doctor.
    Then it will be fine. Threaten to date a white aspiring musician instead and see if they don't suddenly support your decision

(Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Why would it be a problem to some people? Because they believe you two must be related way back or something?
    Something like that.. I think because it shows that his family is from the same village as my mums and that yeh there is possibly some relation there. Even though it's such a common surname anyway

ReputationRep:
    Something like that.. I think because it shows that his family is from the same village as my mums and that yeh there is possibly some relation there. Even though it's such a common surname anyway
    I thought Indians didn't care about that sort of stuff and frequently married their 1st cousins

Spoiler:
    Show

Patel, Khan, or Choudary ...I bet he's one of them

(Original post by ANM775)
    I thought Indians didn't care about that sort of stuff and frequently married their 1st cousins

Spoiler:
    Show

Patel, Khan, or Choudary ...I bet he's one of them

In my religion we don't. If he was Khan/Choudary that'd be even worse
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If it's Kaur then I wouldn't worry too much about it..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.