Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 27 and I lost my mom when I was 11 years old.

When I was a teenager, he would tell me not to go out, not to have friends because I'm going to get married anyway and I don't need friends. Although I did go out on Saturdays.

He would even tell me not to make females friends and even now he tells me not to talk to females.

He did not let me go out to pubs, clubs.

He took the mickey out of me when my cousin graduating saying "I'm only in my first year". Maybe he wanted me to be more ambitious.

He would often complain about me not taking driving lessons and complain that I left the upstairs door open when I was a late teenager.

He talks to himself and sometimes sings songs to himself.

I've helped him out a lot, I'm the only one who helped him out back in 2010 when he had a nasty accident at work, he had another accident in 2014 and I helped him a lot when he got redundant in late 2015.

I did drop out and start another degree at the age of 24 and right now I've had graduate interview offers.

Sometimes when my uncle's comes to my high he says "he'll put his will only to give the house to my sister and their is only my sister left".

Sometimes I think I have to make him happy rather then him taking responsibility, he never goes out and that he's own problem.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt that fathers are often harsh to kids in areas where they went wrong. As much I love my dad I've learnt he's not my inspiration in life and that's okay, in terms of morals and work ethic I take some inspiration but you have to understand he's doing it becuase he loves you and it might not be the kind of love you want or need but if you feel like he's pushing you in the wrong direction you need to stand up for yourself. Know what it is that you want and try to please him but when the time is right/when it's necessary you have to push yourself away and go in your own direction

Thank for the fantastic advice zayn008!

He's laughing for no reason now (not at me).

He also chants god's name a lot.

My father for no reason has this self pity attitude, I understand because he has had a hard life, he works very hard in a factory and he doesn't have a wife (my mom), I do understand it's difficult when you have no one.

However, I try to be there for him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.