Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thirdcultureteen)
    I don't know who you are and what you're going through, but you're obviously suffering in one way or another if you feel the need to bring other people down in this way. Unless you've been in the position of a person who has been rejected in that way, or frankly, in the position of someone who has been seriously considering their future, you have no right to treat someone else that way. I'm very sorry for whatever it is that has made you feel so insecure and bitter that you have decided to attack so many people and their aspirations just from this thread, but it does not justify you treating others in this way and I do sincerely hope that things will get better for you soon.
    I'm generally like that? I'll say it how it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Not useless, but most people are incredibly misinformed about its prospects.

If you study medicine, education, nursing, or most other professional degrees, you can assume you can be a physician, teacher, nurse, or whatever profession you're supposed to be in in the end (even though of course it's still not a guarantee).

But with a law degree, you're not even getting the license to practise at the end, and you must have it in order to practise (unlike going into accountancy/auditing).
    That is what I was saying. You can only go on to be a lawyer etc. The law degree doesn't make you a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got an offer to study law at Cambridge Hope that isn't useless xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timb1999)
    If you want to become a lawyer or even a judge in your career planning, it is surely not. Do you accept the offer? good luck then!

ReputationRep:
    Well done!!

2:1 Oxbridge > 1st Anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    If you're studying it.

But that would be equally true for anything else you would study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    If you want to become a lawyer or even a judge in your career planning, it is surely not. Do you accept the offer? good luck then!
    I will definitely accept the offer! I've always wanted to study law. Nothing is pointless if you enjoy it so I don't really understand all of this pessimism. Whoever is interested in law should go study it; doesn't matter where!!

ReputationRep:
    Sore loser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?
    I know a law graduate who went to study nursing because the job prospects isn't great.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely accept the offer! I've always wanted to study law. Nothing is pointless if you enjoy it so I don't really understand all of this pessimism. Whoever is interested in law should go study it; doesn't matter where!!
    Right. If everyone would study what has the best chances in terms of getting a job, there would be so many people specialized in certain professions and too little people specialized in another professions. A society with such a lack of equilibrium has a rough ride to endure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally like that? I'll say it how it is.
    Correction: you'll say it how you think it is.

I'm afraid that your opinion alone does not make a law degree useless. Many people will come out of law degrees being better critical thinkers who are more eloquent and are skilled at dealing with difficult texts. It's hard to comprehend that you may not think these skills are equally valuable in other professions, given that much of working life involves working with others, presenting your work and having to do things logically and efficiently.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    is it really respected then if the credits belong to only the top 10 universities in the uk? I'm doing AS Maths in year 10 so I'm sure I can tell you your degree is rubbish.
    Cool, I did that too sweetie. Come talk to me when you have a Cambridge offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whoever you are I love you xD ps I got an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would I want to go to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Whoever you are I love you xD
    I'm sure she is flattered.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Why would I want to go to Cambridge?
    Oxford? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People from my school get into Ivy leagues. I currently like the physics department in Stanford and Brown uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxford would be good for me as several people with Asperger's take the mathematics course. Its just the group work I'm worried about.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

People from my school get into Ivy leagues. I currently like the physics department in Stanford and Brown uni
    Ok lol Brown is better for undergrad education imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ the Oxbridge circle jerking on this forum is unbearable. If you think it's a golden ticket to becoming the prime minister or a Supreme Court Judge you have another thing coming. Any top Russell Group will get you into any of the top London firms, period. A 1st from a top Russell group will, in almost every instance, be looked upon more favorably than a 2:1 from Oxbridge - a 1st in law is a fantastic achievement. As I mentioned earlier, the commercial bar is admittedly dominated by Oxbridge (top few chambers in the country). However, if you look at the profiles of the barristers, not only did they attend Oxbridge, they often came in the top handful of students in their year. A 2:1 from Oxbridge will not get you into the commercial bar, you have a better chance with a 1st from a top Russell Group.

Please, you are going to convince people that Oxbridge is the be all and end all - it's not. Sure, it gives you an advantage, but if you look at stats, Oxbridge (individually Oxford and Cambridge) have about a 3% lead over Durham in the number of graduates given training contracts - wow, incredible. Even more important, which I haven't mentioned, is extracurriculars. I should also point out that even if you read many law firm partners are Oxbridge graduates, it's not some meritocratic system where the comprehensive school kid succeeds and goes on to Oxbridge, and then walks into the position of partner - you will find many partners are educated at a small handful of top private schools. It's the elite social bubble which gives you the advantage, not Oxbridge. Feel free to disagree, but this is the truth. There will, of course, be state educated partners, but they are in the minority. Britain is a class ridden society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.