ReputationRep:
    Should UK lower the voting age to 16?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennysons_maud)
    No.
    Why not?
    16 year olds are allowed to do many things including getting married. They can start a family and have a baby, so they have many responsibilities but yet we do not let
    them have the vote for who they think should run the country. We all expect them to act like adults but we give them the democratic rights of a child.
    Is this right?

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mihaela.revencu)
    Why not?
    16 year olds are allowed to do many things including getting married
    Only with permission (England). A frankly absurd law anyway, children should not be able to marry at all.

ReputationRep:
    The line has got to be drawn somewhere. Decisions made by the government affect 15 year olds too, and 10 year olds, and 5 year olds... should we just let everyone vote? 18 is as good a place as any, very few 16 year olds have the social awareness and political understanding to vote (frankly most 18 year olds don't and many older voters also don't). I don't see any reason to alter the rule we already have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 myself (and would consider myself reasonably responsible and politically aware) but even I think that the voting age should remain at 18. That is, after all, the age where we become legal adults and, as others have said, you have to have a cut off point somewhere. Although I do strongly feel that 16 and 17 year olds should've had a vote in the EU ref, mainly because Scottish 16/17 year olds got a vote in the Scots independence ref! Brexit will also have far more consequences on us than the decisions made by a Government for 5 years or so which, I think, draws the line between voting in General Elections and Brexit. Just my 2 cents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mihaela.revencu)
    Why not?
    16 year olds are allowed to do many things including getting married. They can start a family and have a baby, so they have many responsibilities but yet we do not let
    them have the vote for who they think should run the country. We all expect them to act like adults but we give them the democratic rights of a child.
    Is this right?
    I just don't think that 16 year olds in general understand what the vote really means, or are mature enough/informed enough/interested enough to make an educated decision. That is a massive generalisation, but I think it's much less of a generalisation than "All 16 year olds are capable of making an informed choice about voting and mature enough to take it seriously" would be. Because that would be what giving the vote to 16-year-olds would mean.

Sixteen-year-olds may be legally entitled to get married (with parental consent), start a family, etc., but irl practically no one does that and to be honest I doubt there's very many 18-year-olds who are qualified to become parents, let alone 16-year-olds . . . The irony is that we're progressively getting less and less mature as generations pass. There was a time when at 16 a young person would be expected be mature enough for marriage and for getting a serious job, and now? The school system doesn't help of course . . . feel free to disagree, as always, but that's my current opinion.

Also agree with other posters - there has to be a cut-off point, and 18 is probably a better choice than any others I can think of since voting would come with everything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.