Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently I did my history mock and it went very bad I came out of the exam feeling okay, but unfortunately I got a C. Typically I get A*'s in history, and that is actually my target grade. I was just wondering if you had any advice on how to revise history. I only get A*'s in history when we study topics that I'm interested in (Cold War etc...) but we're doing International Relations (okay), USA Civil Rights (okay) and British Depth Study (okay). In my exam I did the best on British Depth Study, and not so good on the others. I think the problem is mainly a mixture of lack of knowledge, but also exam technique/ answering technique too. It just feels so disheartening when I thought I did okay at something and I do bad. Also if you have any tips for the Controlled assessment (mine is on FDR's New Deal). (I'm doing History B with OCR, but any advice is very helpful) I really need this advice as I need this grade, thank you

ReputationRep:
    BUMP! Just a reminder that my paper is History B, not A, but any advice is appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think you might be doing the same units as me for history B
    I use a lot of notes which I then don't find too difficult to memorise and use in the questions.
    My notes are actually on my GYGs thread which I would link but I can't find it on the app, sorry (pm me and I can find you the link tomorrow)
    What is it you are struggling with though? The information or the exam technique?
    If it's the information you just have to find a way of memorising it that works for you whether that be flash cards, notes, mind maps etc.
    If it's the exam technique then it will just be practise, practise, practise!
    HTH

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be picking GCSE History but I am worried of getting bad. Is as hard as they say?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazhaz)
    I am going to be picking GCSE History but I am worried of getting bad. Is as hard as they say?
    It's not bad if you work hard and work on exam technique throughout the course. As for "Is it as hard as they say?" Well who are "they"? Many people would tell you that all sorts of courses are hard. They are designed to be rigorous and make sure you have actually learnt the content. But people would object if exams did not do that so it shouldn't be a major surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did my GCSE History almost two years ago now and came out with an A* (I was OCR History B). In year 10 I was seriously getting loads of B's and C's. What I did to improve was nail the exam technique and structures, as for every style of question you need a certain structure (and they use similar style of questions). So I did a lot of past paper questions- admittedly I did a lot in lesson too. To make sure we remembered all the facts my school made us do A3 sheets where there were headings that were questions they'd see commonly come up for us to answer- meaning we answered questions whilst reaffirming our knowledge.
    Can't help you with the controlled assessment- mine let me down- and mine was on Nazi Germany.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Hey, I think you might be doing the same units as me for history B
    I use a lot of notes which I then don't find too difficult to memorise and use in the questions.
    My notes are actually on my GYGs thread which I would link but I can't find it on the app, sorry (pm me and I can find you the link tomorrow)
    What is it you are struggling with though? The information or the exam technique?
    If it's the information you just have to find a way of memorising it that works for you whether that be flash cards, notes, mind maps etc.
    If it's the exam technique then it will just be practise, practise, practise!
    HTH

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! Could you please send me your history revision notes because i am struggling with it so much. Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenxluna)
    Hi! Could you please send me your history revision notes because i am struggling with it so much. Thanks!
    They're on the second post on this thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...536&t=43996181

ReputationRep:
    It's not bad if you work hard and work on exam technique throughout the course. As for "Is it as hard as they say?" Well who are "they"? Many people would tell you that all sorts of courses are hard. They are designed to be rigorous and make sure you have actually learnt the content. But people would object if exams did not do that so it shouldn't be a major surprise.
    Thank you for your response and I have seen people say, "It's very difficult, don't pick it its impossible to get As".
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response and I have seen people say, "It's very difficult, don't pick it its impossible to get As".
    Np It's clearly not impossible to get an A however as thousands do each year Hoping for one myself this summer lol
    Some of the sources in particular can be difficult but tbh the most important thing is that you are interested in the content. I have 2 units I find interesting then part of the third is extremely boring (imo). This means that motivating myself to do any work for it is much more difficult than for the other units which I enjoy. If you find it interesting you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have always found history interesting and had a link with it and it would beca shame if I didnt pick it so I definitely will do. I hope you get what you want if you have taken care, bothered and tried your very best I'm pretty sure you will get your best. I have 3 years to go so I hope enough practice with sources and how to answer them. I have checked the topics we are doing: The growth of America, Nazi Germany impact, Elizabethans and Crime and Punishment. All subjects I love and understand except America. The question I still have in mind is, Is History as describe it (Lots to remember, lots to write, hard mark scheme)? Thank you for everything I have always wanted to talk to a student who has picked to get ideas of the subject. Very last question, Do you regret picking or do you have any suggestions for someone picking it?

ReputationRep:
    You're in Year now right? Well I think it's different for you because the exam board is changing things, (at least that's what my teacher said) and I think you're doing less about war and more about other things. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have always found history interesting and had a link with it and it would beca shame if I didnt pick it so I definitely will do. I hope you get what you want if you have taken care, bothered and tried your very best I'm pretty sure you will get your best. I have 3 years to go so I hope enough practice with sources and how to answer them. I have checked the topics we are doing: The growth of America, Nazi Germany impact, Elizabethans and Crime and Punishment. All subjects I love and understand except America. The question I still have in mind is, Is History as describe it (Lots to remember, lots to write, hard mark scheme)? Thank you for everything I have always wanted to talk to a student who has picked to get ideas of the subject. Very last question, Do you regret picking or do you have any suggestions for someone picking it?
    There is a lot to remembers but that's the same with almost any subject you could pick. Same with lots to write, not particularly more than other subjects. I wouldn't call the marl scheme particularly hard, you get used to answering exam questions throughout the course to you'll be fine in the exam.
    I definitely don't regret taking history (well 95% of the time anyway lol). I'm not really sure by what you mean by suggestions other than the obvious try hard in class, practise exam questions and make notes as you go along etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely correct we are going to be fucusing for on the events during a time period and there is no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot to remembers but that's the same with almost any subject you could pick. Same with lots to write, not particularly more than other subjects. I wouldn't call the marl scheme particularly hard, you get used to answering exam questions throughout the course to you'll be fine in the exam.
    I definitely don't regret taking history (well 95% of the time anyway lol). I'm not really sure by what you mean by suggestions other than the obvious try hard in class, practise exam questions and make notes as you go along etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had so many worries about History and choosing it but I dont anymore thanks to you. The suggestions are great I will try to folow them. Thank you for everything

ReputationRep:
    For paper B I bought the Ben Walsh history revision guide and made notes from that which helps with knowledge and understanding of the time period (which is crucial). I also made sure that my exam technique was up to scratch as that's more important in paper B than in paper A in my opinion. I did this and got an A*.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I had so many worries about History and choosing it but I dont anymore thanks to you. The suggestions are great I will try to folow them. Thank you for everything
    Np
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My school gives me lots of summarised notes for each topic and I find them extremely useful alongside my class notes. Mindmaps are good, I prefer notes (might not work for all) and perhaps flashcards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.