The Student Room Group

Choosing A-levels? Humanities VS STEM

Hi everyone, I'm new to TSR so excuse me if I make some flaw in editing or something!!

Anyway, I need to choose A-levels by a deadline (February 1st) and I am honestly so stuck. To give you an idea:

GCSE mocks:
Maths A
English Lit A
Eng Lang A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Biology B
Music A*
RS A
History A
Spanish A*

In terms of career: I can see myself going down two routes at the moment, either a Spanish degree (if you think languages are useless the close button is up there^) or medicine or vet. science.

I know my Biology was my weakest grade but that is honestly because I didn't do the revision for it, it is within my capability to get an A* in May.

However, I now have the dilemma of ' do I do Science for the sake of med/ vet school and run the risk of hating the A level but having to take at least one Science A-level or do I do humanities and eliminate the possibility of a Sciency degree??'

So my two choices at the moment are:

Spanish
History (interchangeable with English:/)
Maths (?)
Music

or

Spanish
Chem
Bio
(insert other choice here)

I am honestly so unsure: as you can see I'm pretty across the board in terms of grades so it's really difficult for me to pick! It would be really useful if you guys could help me out just by saying how you're finding your A-levels.

(N.B. I have always been more 'naturally' better at humanities: I like to write. I would see Science A-levels as more of a means to an end, whereas humanities I might enjoy better)
Do STEM. Much more useful and in demand.
Do whatever you enjoy more or are better at. STEM subjects are more vocational and are more likely to lead you to a job in that profession, but humanities subjects open up so many doors. I would say whatever you do, make sure you do that language!
I do History and English Lit, and I love them both so much. But, if your heart isn't In the right place with them, you'll struggle because the jump from GCSE to a level is huge!
Original post by caitlin_hhhhh
Hi everyone, I'm new to TSR so excuse me if I make some flaw in editing or something!!

Anyway, I need to choose A-levels by a deadline (February 1st) and I am honestly so stuck. To give you an idea:

GCSE mocks:
Maths A
English Lit A
Eng Lang A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Biology B
Music A*
RS A
History A
Spanish A*

In terms of career: I can see myself going down two routes at the moment, either a Spanish degree (if you think languages are useless the close button is up there^) or medicine or vet. science.

I know my Biology was my weakest grade but that is honestly because I didn't do the revision for it, it is within my capability to get an A* in May.

However, I now have the dilemma of ' do I do Science for the sake of med/ vet school and run the risk of hating the A level but having to take at least one Science A-level or do I do humanities and eliminate the possibility of a Sciency degree??'

Spanish
Maths (?)
Music

or

Spanish
Chem
Bio

I am honestly so unsure: as you can see I'm pretty across the board in terms of grades so it's really difficult for me to pick! It would be really useful if you guys could help me out just by saying how you're finding your A-levels.

(N.B. I have always been more 'naturally' better at humanities: I like to write. I would see Science A-levels as more of a means to an end, whereas humanities I might enjoy better)

I had a similar problem to you when choosing my A-Levels. You say that you want to do Medicine/Vet Med, but from your post, in all honesty, you don't seem really interested in science, and believe me, those degrees take a lot of dedication (even to get into university to study them). Remember, you will be studying 3/4 subjects, and a lot of people end up disliking subjects they had previously liked, let alone ones they disliked. You could keep all doors open by doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish, but make sure you really like the subjects you pick. And ask your teachers for as much advice as possible, they're always great to talk to. Best of luck.
Original post by Edminzodo
I had a similar problem to you when choosing my A-Levels. You say that you want to do Medicine/Vet Med, but from your post, in all honesty, you don't seem really interested in science, and believe me, those degrees take a lot of dedication (even to get into university to study them). Remember, you will be studying 3/4 subjects, and a lot of people end up disliking subjects they had previously liked, let alone ones they disliked. You could keep all doors open by doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish, but make sure you really like the subjects you pick. And ask your teachers for as much advice as possible, they're always great to talk to. Best of luck.

just out of interest, what A-levels did you end up doing? And do you enjoy them?

really helpful post as well, thank you for the insight!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just out of interest, what A-levels did you end up doing? And do you enjoy them?

really helpful post as well, thank you for the insight!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll PM you.

GCSE mocks:
Maths A
English Lit A
Eng Lang A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Biology B
Music A*
RS A
History A
Spanish A*

Spanish
Maths (?)
Music

or

Spanish
Chem
Bio

Hi, I'm a Y11 now in the same boat. I either want to do a Spanish degree or a science degree (not really set on medicine but still science). My grades are also similar to yours, 7s/8s.9s. Overall I dont know what to do, I too am planning to do Spanish either way, and I would also consider myself better at humanities but I enjoy science too. Having made your choices, what did you choose and how did you find it? Do you regret it? What would you do differently? etc.

My options would likely be:

Spanish
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
or
Spanish
Maths
+ two of
Sociology/History/Eng Lit

What do you recommend?

Quick Reply