Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm applying for graduate training schemes, but have been in employment since I graduated in 2011. A lot of companies are asking for references at the beginning of the application stage. I'm a bit hesitant to put down my current employer as they don't know I'm applying for another job. Also, I wouldn't want my employer to be contacted unless I had first been offered a place. Lastly, the training schemes don't start until September. If I'm offered a place in March, I still wouldn't want my employers to be contacted until much closer to the time.

Am I being overly paranoid? What would the best way to go about this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopin_fanatic)
    Hi all,

I'm applying for graduate training schemes, but have been in employment since I graduated in 2011. A lot of companies are asking for references at the beginning of the application stage. I'm a bit hesitant to put down my current employer as they don't know I'm applying for another job. Also, I wouldn't want my employer to be contacted unless I had first been offered a place. Lastly, the training schemes don't start until September. If I'm offered a place in March, I still wouldn't want my employers to be contacted until much closer to the time.

Am I being overly paranoid? What would the best way to go about this?
    I'd contact the recruiters prior to submitting your application, ask at what point they ask for reference and explain this situation - they will understand (there will be a significant number of candidates in the same position). However most recruiters will not follow up with references until an offer is made (it is just too much hassle doing it before hand). Some might do it prior to last round interview stage, and that's why contacting them might be helpful to double check their policy.

At the point of offer though, you will probably have to suck it up and that your current employer will be made aware. It is probably best to have a conversation with your line manager at the point you accept the offer, and just make lots of positive comments about how committed you will be to your current role until you leave.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases employers only use references when they know they will give you an offer. Some employers ask you to specify whether certain references can be contacted prior to you being offered a job as they are aware of such awkward situations arising with current employers, which is why for the most part they will avoid it until an offer has been made. However, if you find out in e.g. March you should really be an adult about it and just tell your current employer. It's much better for them that they have more notice that you are leaving so that they can prepare and it is really the most professional thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'd contact the recruiters prior to submitting your application, ask at what point they ask for reference and explain this situation - they will understand (there will be a significant number of candidates in the same position). However most recruiters will not follow up with references until an offer is made (it is just too much hassle doing it before hand). Some might do it prior to last round interview stage, and that's why contacting them might be helpful to double check their policy.

At the point of offer though, you will probably have to suck it up and that your current employer will be made aware. It is probably best to have a conversation with your line manager at the point you accept the offer, and just make lots of positive comments about how committed you will be to your current role until you leave.
    I agree.
    Also, some employers ask you to specify whether certain references can be contacted prior to you being offered a job. This is because they aware that awkward situations can arise if they are contacted for a reference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.