Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying English Literature for the new GCSE's 9-1. In literature I have covered: An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Pride and Prejudice and Power and Conflict. However, I am slightly confused on how to revise for each one. I know you have to revise themes, characters but I feel like each one requires a different revision method? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    buy cgp power and conflict book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealMadrid01)
    I'm currently studying English Literature for the new GCSE's 9-1. In literature I have covered: An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Pride and Prejudice and Power and Conflict. However, I am slightly confused on how to revise for each one. I know you have to revise themes, characters but I feel like each one requires a different revision method? Any tips?
    I'm studying An Inspector Calls as well, what I do is use:
    - Litcharts (not only for AIC but I'm sure the other things you are studying will be there) it's really good in regards to every aspect you need to learn for the exam. Personally, I just print it out and then highlight key sentences that I think are really good to know/learn from.

- When focussing on characters, I look through the actual play (or the CGP guide for it) for the key points, just bullet pointing changes in their character e.g Sheila and evidence backing it up, or for the others just something that really defines them, that way in the exam if they ask about a character in your mind the image of the bullet list will come up.

for someone like Mr.Birling
    - ‘unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable’....shows his ignorance -> can link to context
    -'a man has to mind his own business and look out for himself and his own.’ this is the moment the inspector arrives, hints to the purpose of the inspector...maybe.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aish_abdul23)
    - Litcharts (not only for AIC but I'm sure the other things you are studying will be there) it's really good in regards to every aspect you need to learn for the exam. Personally, I just print it out and then highlight key sentences that I think are really good to know/learn from.

- When focussing on characters, I look through the actual play (or the CGP guide for it) for the key points, just bullet pointing changes in their character e.g Sheila and evidence backing it up, or for the others just something that really defines them, that way in the exam if they ask about a character in your mind the image of the bullet list will come up.

- ‘unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable’....shows his ignorance -> can link to context
    -'a man has to mind his own business and look out for himself and his own.’ this is the moment the inspector arrives, hints to the purpose of the inspector...maybe.

Best of luck
    Thanks so much that really helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aish_abdul23)

Best of luck

I hope you are having a good dayI am writing to you to see if you may be able to help me, my exams are coming up! i have seen some excellent resources on lilcharts but need to subscribe for it, but i cannot afford it. I was wondering if you has=d a login, and if so, if i may borrow it? It would mean the world to me and may allow me to get the grades to continue on the path SET FOR MEmany thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealMadrid01)
    I did GCSES last year and got an A* in English Lit. Currently on an A grade in AS english lit. If your exam is closed book (even if it isn't) all you need to do to get a good grade is memorise quotes! memorise them, put them into the right themes. Once you've done that, make theme/character sheets. This really helped me and is the exact same way I revise English Lit now, plus it's not too time consuming so you have time to do practise essays which are possibly the best for revision as you don't need to worry about not being to answer a question that comes up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.